Students were racing to the crowd as they attempted to catch a glimpse of Ryan Seacrest and other KIIS FM staff.
Ryan Seacrest stops by Los Alamitos High School
Reese Neiger and Kalea DaviesApril 26, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — The music blasted in the quad as Los Alamitos High School students danced along during KIIS FM's visit with Ryan Seacrest!...

Students study in the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, the main branch of the New York public library, located in the heart of Manhattan.
Colleges welcome the class of 2028
Nandi Smith, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – After a stressful college application season, the class of 2024 has officially received all of their admissions decisions...

Electric car charging in Birmingham, UK City Centre.
Courtesy of Unsplash
Electric vehicles are taking over the world
Olivia Cooks, Staff Writer • April 23, 2024

Tesla's Model 3 is one of their most popular vehicles and reaches a top speed of 125mph.

Four years ago this week: COVID reflections part two

Griffins remember March 13, 2020 and their quarantine experiences
Katie Arnoult (via Canva)
Four years ago this week, the pandemic lockdown began in Los Alamitos. “It was so weird how, in one week, everything changed so fast,” said Los Al sophomore Yara Saadeh.

Yara Saadeh and the backwards birthday

On March 13, 2020, Los Al sophomore Yara Saadeh was in sixth grade, in third period World History when her teacher paused the video the class was watching and told the students to go outside and take out everything from their locker.

Yara Saadeh recalled her COVID-19 experiences and described the moment she found out about the new pandemic on March 13, 2020. (Yara Saadeh)

“I thought that it was normal since it was a Friday… then my teacher tells us that for the next two weeks, we are out of school because of COVID!” she said.

But the pandemic lasted far more than two weeks, as we all realized. Los Al students had to adapt both their academic lives and their social lives to quarantine. Even birthday celebrations were affected, as Saadeh explained. Her birthday in 2020 was only a week after the first lockdown, and cakes were suddenly in short supply.

“I remember running into five different grocery stores trying to find a cake, but every store was practically empty,” Saadeh recalled. “It was so weird how, in one week, everything changed so fast.”

At such a young age in sixth grade, Saadeh’s daily life and routine were constantly on repeat. Then, quarantine flipped everything upside down, but almost in a good way. Although the pandemic had many negative effects, Saadeh remembers having more opportunities to get out of her comfort zone, try new hobbies, and connect with family and friends.

In the future, perhaps we will remember our pandemic years for all of its unexpected moments and hilarious memories.

“One of my funniest memories was my aunt’s wedding in Tunisia. Since it was still [during the pandemic] at that time, me and my entire family weren’t sure we would be able to get tickets. We ended up getting tickets, and all 30 of us ran on the plane and barely made it in time for the wedding. It was a crazy plane ride but such an exciting experience!” Saadeh said.

Honestly, looking back at the pandemic, I truly find that period of time [to be] unique to any other.”

— Yara Saadeh, Los Al sophomore