Women’s History Month 2024

What are the origins of Women’s History Month? How can you celebrate Women’s History Month?
Women’s history is the primary tool for women’s emancipation.” said Gerda Lerner in her book, “The Creation of Patriarchy.” 
“Women’s history is the primary tool for women’s emancipation.” said Gerda Lerner in her book, “The Creation of Patriarchy.” 
Kalea Davies

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Each year, the month of March is set aside to appreciate women’s achievements in American history. People all over America take this month to dwell on and recognize women from our past who have paved the way for countless generations.

“Women’s history is the primary tool for women’s emancipation,” said Gerda Lerner in her book “The Creation of Patriarchy.”

History

The year is 1978 in Santa Rosa, California, and the Education Task Force of Sonoma County Commission has planned a “Women’s History Week” celebration. A local teacher named Molly Murphy MacGregor is leading presentations at many schools throughout Sonoma County, California. Bright colors and huge posters parade down the street of Sonoma. This was the beginning of Women’s History Month. 

After the successful Women’s History Week, historian Gerda Lerner brought together a 15-day conference about women’s history at Sarah Lawrence College. Once the conference ended, women activists and historians worked together to make the week official.

After President Jimmy Carter declared March 2-8 National Women’s History Week in 1980, Congress passed Pub. L. 100-9, which promulgated March as “Women’s History Month.” Every March, the president declares Women’s History Month and comments on the importance of the month.

I call upon all Americans to observe this month and to celebrate International Women’s Day on March 8, 2024, with appropriate programs, ceremonies, and activities. I also invite all Americans to visit WomensHistoryMonth.gov to learn more about the vital contributions of women to our Nation’s history.

— President Biden, WhiteHouse.org

How should we celebrate?

President Biden encouraged all Americans to celebrate Women’s History Month, but how do we do that?

“[I have] ‘Women in History’ Barbie dolls,” said Los Alamitos High School principal Mrs. Kraus. “The [Barbie dolls] I have are very strong women who have made great strides for different communities, [as well as] for women. [Displaying them] is another way to acknowledge and celebrate [Women’s History Month].”

Mrs. Kraus’ women in history Barbie doll bookshelf in her office. (Kalea Davies)

You can go to WomensHistoryMonth.gov to educate yourselves about significant women in history, but don’t stop there! Ask the women in your life about their experiences and learn about their stories too. 

“The first [woman I admire] that comes to mind is my own mother. She was born in a Japanese internment camp, and she had to endure a great deal of adversity related to her race and gender as she grew up,” said Mrs. Yoshihara-Ha, an English teacher at Los Al. “She succeeded despite these challenges, and, with the help of my father, took care of and provided for our family. She continues to be a strong woman who keeps us all together. I feel very fortunate.”

Additionally, you can visit events around the community that celebrate Women’s History Month. For example, the L.A. County Library is celebrating this month with various events that celebrate women’s achievements in science, arts, engineering, and more all throughout March. You can learn more on the L.A. County Library website. 

Another way you could celebrate Women’s History Month is by supporting businesses for women. Some businesses that you could support are Step Up, National Women’s History Alliance, or LadiesWhoLaunch.

Step Up is a nonprofit business that mentors students to achieve their personal goals, NWHA promotes women’s history in education and media, and Ladies Who Launch is a business that supports women and non-binary entrepreneurs. There are a multitude of methods to honor Women’s History Month, so branch out and be creative! 

Every March, the National Women’s History Alliance chooses a theme for Women’s History Month. The theme for this year is “Women Who Advocate for Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion.”

“The theme recognizes women throughout the country who understand that, for a positive future, we need to eliminate bias and discrimination entirely from our lives and institutions,” according to the National Women’s History Alliance website. 

Have a marvelous Women’s History Month, Los Al, and don’t forget to appreciate all the incredible women around you! 

$50
$1000