News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

Los Al’s 2024 Drumline recieves gold medal

Learn about how this year’s drumline won gold medal and first place at Cal State San Bernadino
Los Al Weekly Newsletter
Students of Los Al’s drumline pose together for a team photo after winning gold.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — On Saturday, April 13, Los Al drumline went to Cal State San Bernadino and won first place and a gold medal.

During the fall semester of the drumline, hours of hard work and practice went into their performances while getting closer to competition dates. By the time they started their competitions, they had spent hundreds of hours preparing and making sure everything they needed to know was covered, and everyone was feeling great about their performance.

“The magic on comp day is willing our minds to tune in, focus, and execute under pressure. We have a very consistent routine that helps with this. We also tap into the group confidence that we have built in our rehearsal and training sessions,” said Ezekiel Lanser, head drumline coach.

Drumline during their final competition (Los Al Battery)

After many competitions and hours of preparation, the day of the final competition came. Students arrived at Los Al early morning and started heading up on the 2-hour bus drive. When the bus drive came to an end, students were finally able to get off the bus and get ready for the one hour they had to warm up physically, as well as mentally.

“I was excited and nervous at the same time, but our team had done so great in the past, so I didn’t worry too much about it,” said Los Al freshman Mia Andrade.

Students together as a team after winning the SCPAA championship (Los Al Battery)

Once the drumline stepped out, they lit up the venue with bright energy, moves, and sound.  Students felt ecstatic; winning or anything else could not change the way they felt when they were performing.

“The look on the student’s face is something I will never forget,” said Head Drumline Coach Ezekiel Lanser.

After waiting anxiously, Los Al Drumline got their title of “2024 SCPAA Class Champions.”

“It was a long 15-hour day, but it was all worth it. This season has been dedicated to hard work, laughter, and commitment,” said Gabriella Gurley, a senior.

View Comments (1)
$50
$1000