News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

Senior girls wave from the back of their white Jeep parade vehicle, decorated with a custom graduation sign and balloons.
Along for the ride: Grads say goodbye with annual Senior Parade
Ella Suos and Katie ArnoultJune 4, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – On June 1, 2024, Los Al seniors and their families participated in the iconic drive through Rossmoor. The annual event marked...

This summer is the time to sit back and relax with these summer must-watches.
Five movies to relax with this summer!
Jaya Eapen and Jasmine LeeJune 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- As summer draws near, it can be hard to get in the vibe of the season; however, these five movies will make the transition...

It’s important to read [during the summer] because it gets you off screens and keeps your mind thinking about turning words into images. It helps with your imagination and depth of thinking, especially when learning concepts, said Henry Miller, a freshman.
Summer escapes: Dive into these summer page-turners
Kalea Davies, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- Summer is quickly approaching, Griffins! This means that during summer there will be times when we are bored and looking...

The proposal for roundabouts and bike lanes in Rossmoor

How the Rossmoor Community Services District is dealing with chaotic traffic flow, especially along Montecito Road
The+original+Montecito+Road+with+its+four+lanes+and+side+parking%2Fbike+lanes.+
Katie Arnoult
The original Montecito Road with its four lanes and side parking/bike lanes.

ROSSMOOR, CA – As many Rossmoor residents are familiar with the outbreak of e-bikers and wild school traffic, so is the Orange County Public Works engineering team. After much collaboration with the community, Wei Zhu, a professional traffic engineer, thoughtfully brought recommendations to Rossmoor’s busy table. 

Samarie Cliche, a sophomore at Los Alamitos High School, referred to her father in an interview about her neighborhood’s street proposals. 

“He’s angry and always yelling at people in front of him, always honking his horn. He probably thinks it’s unneeded because he can just take alternate routes to avoid traffic. I think [the street changes] are pointless,” Cliche said. 

The process leading up to the following recommendations did not happen overnight. In fact, the OC traffic engineering team has been studying parking data and traffic flow since last year. 

According to the Event-News Enterprise newspaper, the following recommendations are:

Montecito mini roundabouts will be on: 

• Shakespeare Drive
  • Bostonian Drive
  • Bradbury Road

Bradbury Road

• Radar feedback signs
  • 25 mph stencils (one in each direction)
  • Raised medians

Montecito Road – South

• One lane per direction, bike lanes, parallel parking, a center turn lane

Shakespeare and Bostonian School Area

Montecito Road – North

“I am not excited about the changes,” said Chelsea Mack, a 40-year-old Rossmoor resident. “I know the streets are busy in the school areas and it causes congestion, but I think the solution is not for us to suffer through road construction for a year but rather to incentivize people to walk or bike to reduce the car traffic.” 

Revealing their deep concern for the safety of Rossmoor, the RCSD weighed their opinions against more than 100 residents’ opinions in a town hall meeting to prove changes can only be made with community consensus. 

Peggy Wilkins, teacher at Rossmoor Elementary School, acknowledged the parking predicament with apartment complexes and on Montecito Road, suggesting the solution of parking permits. Wilkins has lived in the neighborhood for 28 years, so Zhu’s efforts greatly impacted her. Disagreeing with the investigation for one lane going each way on Montecito, another speaker at the town hall meeting recalled that solution as “disastrous” in the Event-News Enterprise newspaper. 

Montecito Road is one of the busiest and longest streets in Rossmoor, where Rossmoor Elementary stands and e-bikers roam freely. (Katie Arnoult)

Overall, most Rossmoor residents are unable to see the rationale in the investigations. However, the RCSD’s attentiveness to the safety of everyone in the community is still appreciated.