News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

McDonald’s new CosMc’s restaurant

McDonald’s opened their unique drive-thru-only restaurant chain in Illinois on Dec. 8, and its menu looks delicious
CosMcs+will+only+be+around+for+a+limited+time%2C+so+its+best+to+enjoy+it+while+you+can%21+
Nicolàs Varela via Unsplash
CosMc’s will only be around for a limited time, so it’s best to enjoy it while you can!

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — McDonald’s has opened their first CosMc’s spin-off restaurant. From 1986 to 1992, McDonald’s had a mascot named CosMc, a six-handed alien obsessed with hamburgers who appeared in advertisements and commercials. The nostalgic beverage-centered restaurant debuted in Illinois, with the menu highlighting coffee, flavorful drinks, and quick treats. The store is also selling a handful of sandwiches prioritizing eggs, sausage, avocado, and cheese — absolutely zero hamburgers in sight.

Although customers in the 1980s were delighted to order a traditional milkshake, CosMc’s seeks to offer more colorful options, catering to individuals who enjoy stronger and more interesting flavors. The whole new category of delicious drinks includes a Turmeric Spiced Latte, Churro Frappe, Sour Cherry Energy Burst, and many more. On the food front, customers can expect delectable offerings including a Spicy Queso Sandwich, Savory Hash Brown Bites, and Pretzel Bites, just to name a few. On the sweet side, the store will also sell McPops, mouthwatering donut holes filled with different flavors, as well as Caramel Fudge Brownies and many more treats.

Even though it appears like the idea came together quickly, the restaurant chain also created a detailed back story for CosMc. According to the firm, the extraterrestrial transported McDonald’s cuisine to a distant galaxy. New discoveries were made during the adventure, and now, over thirty years later, CosMc has returned to give humanity “Galactic Boosts” and other delights.

The first CosMc’s pilot location is in Bolingbrook, Illinois, a town about 30 miles outside Chicago (where the McDonald’s global headquarters is located). 10 more stores are set to open in 2024, including many in the Dallas-Fort Worth and San Antonio metro areas.

The debut drew swarms of customers, leading to long lines of cars and hour-long waits. On opening day, a company spokesperson noted that cars began forming lines around 3:30 a.m. with individuals eager to order as soon as the drive-thru opened. Customers reported waiting as long as 2.5 hours to order, despite the three-lane drive-thru access.

The fast food giant has been thriving in its core business, with exponential growth since its opening in 1940. The brand value of McDonald’s worldwide has grown to $196.5 billion, and its revenue worldwide to $23.18 billion. With its success, McDonald’s began looking for ways to experiment — thus, CosMc’s was born.

“The big story is what [CosMc’s] says about McDonald’s and our potential,” said McDonald’s CEO Chris Kempczinski for CBS News. “To think a little over a year ago, this was just an idea. And [on Dec. 7], [we opened] the first test site. We’re innovating, testing and learning with speed.”

CosMc’s is merely one of multiple ways McDonald’s is looking to expand beyond its current 13,000 U.S. locations. The burger chain has publicized its plan to open 10,000 new restaurants over the next four years, mostly abroad. The corporation anticipates that the upcoming years will be the “fastest period of growth” in its lengthy history, the company stated.

View Comments (1)
$50
$1000