‘No contract, no coffee’: The Starbucks strike and its effects

Starbucks employees go on strike for better income, impacting consumers
Francesca McCall Hokama
Starbucks employees went out to rally on Nov. 16, 2023.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — On Nov. 16, 2023, approximately 7,000 Starbucks workers all over the country went on strike during the company’s “Red Cup Day.” News of the strike spread quickly through social media platforms, encouraging staff from all areas to join. Workers holding up signs outside of Starbucks locations read “Low staff, no staff,” “no contract, no coffee,” and more, CNN reported.

Why are employees striking?

Starbucks workers went on strike for various reasons: higher pay, better schedules, higher staffing, benefits, and job security. One of the main reasons for this strike was the demand for better pay. Many Starbucks employees feel that their pay is not enough for basic needs, especially with a high cost of living.

Another issue that comes up a lot is unpredictable scheduling. Lots of times, workers face last-minute changes to their schedules.

“They have promised the world to us, and they have not delivered,” said Starbucks employee Juniper Schweitzer, for NPR and CNN. According to news sources, she was striking outside a Starbucks store in Chicago.

How this affect consumers 

On the day of the strike, customers going to their local Starbucks might have experienced crowds, long lines, limited menu options, a temporary closing of the store, and possibly more. However, Los Alamitos High School students said that they didn’t a notice a change in their routines because of the strike.

Starbucks’ response

Several days after the strike, Starbucks held many discussions with employees. They told workers they would be negotiating with the Starbucks employees and addressing their demands. Starbucks did not come out with a response on social media, but responded in person with their workers, according to NPR. After Starbucks responded, lots of Starbucks employees felt relieved and hopeful.

How do Los Al students feel about this? 

“Certain things like unpredictable scheduling are hard, especially when you’re in high school,” said Brooke Miranda, a Los Al junior.

“Equal pay is important because certain people like me who drive have to pay for gas to drive back and forth to school, work, and home, and gas adds up with the other necessities we use regularly,” said Johnathan Sehremelis, another junior.

Some Los Al students spend around seven hours at school and work four hours on weekdays. On top of getting home late and having to wake up early in the morning to go to school, these students must keep track of track of all their homework to get it finished for the next day of school. Griffins agreed that problems in the workforce like  those behind the Starbucks strike can create struggles for many students.

$50
$1000