Los Al’s PAC gets a modern touch

New electric screens were installed to replace the old marquee this week
Katie Arnoult
As students came to school in the morning on Oct. 24, a construction crew with a cherry picker machine was seen taking down the old marquee in preparation for the new ones.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – One of Los Alamitos High School’s most well-recognized area on campus is the Performing Arts Center, with its old-school marquee and giant lettering on the front. However, on Tuesday, Oct. 24, students came to school in the morning in awe to see a towering cherry picker machine in the middle of campus, a construction crew installing brand-new screens, and the old marquee lying forgotten on the ground. 

Throughout the day, students could see the progress being made on the new addition to campus. By the end of the day, two large black screens had been installed, standing out against the red, white, and blue of this PAC.  

With this sudden change to Los Al’s campus, some Griffins believe that the new marquee gives the campus a fresh and modern look.

“I thought that it looked really nice,” said senior Olivia Cooks. “It looks more modern and makes the school look more modern. I think it really works well with the STEM building.”

The new screens are one of the many projects that Los Al has initiated in its modernization process. Ranging from renovating classrooms to building a whole new gym, students can expect many changes to come to campus. 

Others believe that the old marquee, with its curvy frame and old-fashioned Griffin logo, gave the school more character, in contrast to the bold black screens that are now installed. 

“I personally liked the older [marquee] because I like the neatness and the old-fashioned style,” said sophomore Jenny Woo.

Freshman Reese Neiger added that the placement of the new screens is “awkward” on the PAC wall, and she believes that they are unnecessary because they contrast with the rest of the campus’ look.

On top of that, the PAC wall was not painted over before the installation of the screens, so an imprint of the old sign still shows behind the new marquee. 

“I just feel like it looks a bit unfinished and they need to add a new coat of paint,” said sophomore Gabby Carlton.

Ultimately, not all Griffins are completely satisfied yet with the new addition on campus. Only time will tell how successful the new marquees will prove to be. Perhaps, in time, Griffins will grow to accept this new high-tech equipment as Los Al begins to undergo major renovations.

A before and after comparison of Los Al’s PAC marquees. (Katie Arnoult)