Car crash outside El Dorado Park Estates

A car crashes into the wall bordering the El Dorado Park Estates
Owen Silverman
A firetruck and police car at the scene of the crash.

LONG BEACH, CA — On the morning of Wednesday, Sept. 20 at around 7:20 a.m., a car crashed into the wall outside El Dorado Park Estates off East Wardlow Rd. and Claremore Ave. The vehicle was driving eastbound on Wardlow when it veered off the road into the bushes outside the neighborhood. The cause and damages of the crash are still unknown, as police have not yet released information on the case.

The wall the car crashed into broke and part of the bushes were destroyed. (Owen Silverman)

The corner of Wardlow and Claremore was blocked off by the police and fire department, who had reached the scene shortly after the collision. The police blocked off the right-hand lane going east on Wardlow, which heavily impeded traffic around the site.

Traffic only worsened towards 8:00 a.m. as people driving to Newcomb Academy, an elementary-middle school by El Dorado Park Estates, had to take different streets to get to, and leave, the school. This congestion annoyed El Dorado residents who were trying to leave their houses for work or school and ran into the congested traffic on the streets and sidewalks.

It was very disruptive to my morning, and shocking,” said an El Dorado resident who wished to remain anonymous. “I’m glad the wall was there; if nothing separated the car from the houses, people could’ve gotten hurt.” 

Close-up shot of the broken wall outside of the estates (Owen Silverman)

The accident’s aftermath crushed bushes and destroyed the wall, displacing multiple bricks. Currently, it is unclear what damages were caused to the car and when the wall will be fixed, but neighborhood residents said reconstruction will happen soon.