The end of an era: Prom 2024

2024 junior and senior prom was a success! Students danced the night away as the bright lights lit up the huge train station
When the clock struck 9 p.m., students gathered as the prom king and queen were announced: Jacob Moreo and Beth Siersma!
Olivia Cooks

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Los Alamitos High School hosted its 2024 junior and senior prom at the Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center with the theme of “La La Land,” based on the blockbuster movie. My expectations were low, considering the venue was a train station, but I was instantly amazed when I arrived. After entering through the automatic doors, you walk into a huge stadium-like room, with a classic modern spin on a fairytale stairway leading up to the “casino,” which featured dealers instructing students on how to play blackjack. 

“I loved the pretty lights at prom, and I thought the music was good. My favorite part was winning at the blackjack table!” Milly Verdugo, a senior at Los Al, said. Olivia Cooks

Downstairs, the delicious food (including Auntie Anne’s, Pinkberry frozen yogurt, TK burgers, and more) delighted students as the DJ lit up the dance floor from across the room. Underneath the stairs, there were a decent amount of tables, a photo booth, a pool table, and air hockey. Props to everyone who stood in line for the photo booth, as the pictures were 1000% worth the wait — coming from someone who did it twice. 

The Pinkberry was the best part!

— Skaylar Quinonez-Bereta, senior

Prom thoroughly exceeded my expectations. I danced until my feet hurt, which started happening even before I entered the building, and had an abundance of fun. 

Pro-tip: Girls, bring a change of shoes (preferably something fancy but comfortable… not Converse) unless you don’t mind going barefoot — I did, and yes…you will get stepped on.   

“It was hectic, but a lot of fun. It was also really nice to see everyone,” Jacs Ferguson, senior at Los Al, said.

For all of my fellow seniors, this was our last prom, which made the night very sentimental, and all the more perfect. The night represented a culmination of the four stressful years spent navigating the ups and downs of high school. It’s not just another school dance; it’s a rite of passage, an exciting milestone marking the transition from adolescence to adulthood. For me, and many others, it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience, where timeless memories were created and shared amongst the friendships and bonds we will cherish forever. 

Senior prom extends far beyond the glittering lights, nostalgic train tracks, and elegant clothing. It’s a beautiful celebration of our achievements and a chance to say goodbye to the familiar halls and classrooms that shaped our high school years, while eagerly anticipating the adult adventures that await us.