News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

Students were racing to the crowd as they attempted to catch a glimpse of Ryan Seacrest and other KIIS FM staff.
Ryan Seacrest stops by Los Alamitos High School
Reese Neiger and Kalea DaviesApril 26, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — The music blasted in the quad as Los Alamitos High School students danced along during KIIS FM's visit with Ryan Seacrest!...

Students study in the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, the main branch of the New York public library, located in the heart of Manhattan.
Colleges welcome the class of 2028
Nandi Smith, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – After a stressful college application season, the class of 2024 has officially received all of their admissions decisions...

Electric car charging in Birmingham, UK City Centre.
Courtesy of Unsplash
Electric vehicles are taking over the world
Olivia Cooks, Staff Writer • April 23, 2024

Tesla's Model 3 is one of their most popular vehicles and reaches a top speed of 125mph.

Griffin Games 2024, here we go!

Griffin Games is an annual tradition at Los Alamitos High School where students of all grade levels (Red Team and Blue Team) compete against each other in the form of dress-out days and lunchtime activities
Mr.+Smith%2C+Los+Als+surf+coach%2C+jumps+off+the+diving+board+on+top+of+a+surf+board%3B+cowabunga%21+
Olivia Cooks
Mr. Smith, Los Al’s surf coach, jumps off the diving board on top of a surf board; cowabunga!

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — What’s up, Griffins! This is the week of Griffin Games 2024 for Los Alamitos High School. This unique, week-long event allows the entire school to participate — the Red Team (seniors and freshmen) and the Blue Team (juniors and sophomores). Many fun dress-out days and lunchtime activities are planned for Monday through Friday. For each student who participates, points will be earned for their team. The breakdown of each day can be found below:

I’m glad we get to see our hard work pay off [in Griffin Games].”

— Leah Rojo, ASB senior

Monday

• Country vs. Country Club 
  • Student dodgeball contest in the gym

Students of all grade levels were able to participate in a friendly dodgeball competition to win points for their team. The winner of the contest, Blue Team, earned 100 points. 

Tuesday

• BBQ Dads vs. Soccer Moms
  • Staff cannonball contest at the pool

Teachers, administrators, and other staff members participated in a fun and splashy cannonball contest. Based on the team the staff member belonged to, the winner would win 100 points for said team. The staff members who participated were Mr. Brown, Mr. Garcia, Mr. Hong, Mr. Hyepock, Mrs. Kelly, Mr. Reihm, Mr. Smith, and Mr. Weatherman.  

“I enjoyed watching the teachers perform creative cannonballs; specifically, Mr. Hong was my favorite. I might be biased because he’s one of my teachers, but his belly flop was hilarious,” said Gabby Gurley, a senior at Los Al.

Wednesday

• Sporty vs. Spunky
  • Staff pie eating contest behind the PAC

Los Al’s staff members have the opportunity to partake in a pie-eating contest, where the fastest muncher prevails. The winner of the contest will win 100 points for the team they belong to. 

Thursday

• Camo vs. Hawaiian
  • Student water balloon contest behind the PAC

Students have the option to take part in a water balloon contest, perfect for the commencement of spring. This nostalgic activity will provide the winner with 100 points for their team. This contest marks the end of the lunchtime activity opportunities to gain points. 

Friday

• Red vs. Blue
  • Griffin Games field day (assembly schedule)

“I’ve enjoyed working with ASB to accomplish a common goal and see students participate in the events,” said Trent Massey, a sophomore in ASB.

To kick students and staff into spring break, Friday offers a field day event where students can compete against each other in mini-games and multiple activities. Usually, there is music blaring and students dancing to celebrate the onset of spring break. The winning team is also announced during this field day to bring Griffin Games 2024 to a close.

View Comments (1)
$50
$1000