Los Al American Red Cross Club running April blood drive

The first April Los Al Blood Drive takes place soon and hopes to kick off the event with lots of participants
Red Cross blood drives strive to encourage as many people as possible to donate to a beneficial organization.
Jasmine Lee

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Los Alamitos High School’s American Red Cross Club is planning to lead a school-driven blood drive in April and wants to collect as many pints of blood as possible.

“Every two seconds, someone in the U.S needs blood or platelets. Nearly 5,000 units of platelets and 6,500 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S,” according to the American Red Cross Society.

The blood drive will be held on Tuesday, April 9, 2024, and will be open from 9:30 a.m to 4 p.m at the Los Al gym. However, the procedure should only account for an extra hour out of a participant’s day; therefore, those donating blood should account for missing a period of class.

Those interested must sign up through this link before Friday, March 22 and RSVP in advance before the blood drive takes place. The blood drive requires students to be at least 16 years old and weigh at least 110 lbs. Students must also choose if they want to give blood during the school day, periods two through six, or after school. 

“People should consider donating blood because it is a critical and direct way to save lives; every donation can help save up to three lives,” said Los Al American Red Cross Club’s president, Addison Butler.

Students under the age of 18 are permitted to donate blood, but it is required that they fill out a waiver with parental consent that can be picked up from the Activities Office, Main Office, Media Center, College and Career Center, or Room 104.

Nearly 5,000 units of platelets and 6,500 units of plasma are needed daily in the U.S.”

— American Red Cross

Staff and students are encouraged to donate their blood with incentives of receiving a digital $10 gift from an establishment of your choice; the choice of either a doughnut, cookie, or boba as a snack; receiving five service hours; and the appeal of contributing to a life-saving organization that aids millions of people every year.

Participants under 110 lbs are not permitted to donate blood because taking blood from people of lighter weights can increase the risk of fainting and dizzy spells. Students under 18 years old are also not permitted to give blood without a parental signature because the blood drive is considered a medical procedure and requires legal consent. 

“Blood drives, particularly in schools, are important, as they significantly contribute to the national blood supply and educate students about the importance of community service and health awareness,” Butler said. “They provide an accessible and convenient way for people to donate blood and participate in a life-saving initiative.”

Regardless of a person’s race, gender, age, and interests, a blood drive gives people the opportunity to help a volunteer organization supply blood to millions of patients suffering from a variety of illnesses and conditions. Los Al Griffins and staff are highly encouraged to take part in helping as many people in need of blood as possible.

View Comments (1)
$50
$1000