Los Al successfully hosted it’s annual Spring Showcase

Even with the harsh weather, students and parents were able to explore the campus and view all the classes and activities Los Al has to offer.
The Journalism class housed an impressive display where staff writers explained about the class to the incoming freshmen walking through.
Jaya Eapen

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Los Al continued their Spring Showcase tradition on March 6, holding workshops, providing entertainment, and allowing for current and future students to tour the campus, even through the unexpected rain. With a frenzy of activity on campus, dozens of families were able to explore the different classrooms and visit the different displays of Los Al’s accomplishments and ongoing academics.

Los Al’s principal Mrs. Kraus is seen explaining one of the points of the 8th grade information session. (LAHS Weekly Newsletter)

Kicking off the night with the 8th-grade family welcome, incoming freshmen were given a presentation giving an overview of all the information they need to know before their first year of high school. Explaining the different classes available, the speakers wanted to give the students and their families all the tools to make their transition into 9th grade as smooth as possible.

Throughout the night they also had other workshops held in various places around campus such as the College and Career Center, the WellSpace, and the gym. Open to all, these workshops gave more insight into topics including the road map to college, information about athletics, and time management skills. Each classroom also hosted its own class presentations and displays, meant to explain their course to visiting 8th graders as well as to inform current parents about everything happening with their students.

“I think the showcase went really well,” said ASL teacher Mrs. Bennett. “We had waves of families coming in. There were several seventh and eighth-grade kids interested in ASL.”

Apart from the staff-led presentations, there was a lot of student activity as well. From the club displays outside the cafeteria, to the art show in the Griffin Gallery, Los Al students were everywhere, showing off all the different activities our school offers. Additionally, elective classes such as Journalism, Yearbook, and Drumline hosted informational presentations where people could visit and talk to current students to get a better understanding of the class.

“A lot of people came in the first half but not a lot in the second,” said Los Al drumline member Maya Wresinski. “I think [there] would have been more people without the weather”

Live entertainment was also provided by Los Al’s arts classes including Dance, Drama, Jazz, Orchestra, Drumline, and Color Guard at different times and locations across campus. Drama in particular had its opening performance of the play “She Kills Monsters” during the night of the showcase.

“The audience was allowed to come and go as they pleased,” said drama student Jenny Woo. “There were about 10 people who stayed and watched the show, so there wasn’t much for audience reaction.”

Although there was a successful turnout of people visiting during the showcase, a big limiting factor this year was the heavy rain downpour that persisted the entire night. The eerie atmosphere of the evening gave a different perspective of the school compared to the previous years’ inviting environment. Along with the rain, the darkness that covered Los Al also made it harder for incoming freshmen and their families to tour the campus.

Even though the unexpected weather dampened the usually inviting integrity of the Spring Showcase, Los Al students and staff persevered through the rain and successfully managed to give a well-rounded reflection of everything our school has to offer and pull off another effective showcase.

View Comments (1)
$50
$1000