How Los Al celebrated National School Counseling Week

Taking a week to acknowledge the hard work of the amazing school counselors in U.S. school systems
“[My counselor] is a welcoming person, and her door is always open to me. Whenever I’m in trouble, I know I can count on her to help,” senior Nathan Garcia said.
Nandi Smith via Canva

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – In U.S. school systems across the country, National School Counseling Week is an week-long event that occurs during the first full week of February. This one week out of the year to honor amazing school counselors is sponsored by the American School Counselor Association (ASCA), but why is this week important?

2024 National School Counseling Week 

According to ASCA, this week was meant to highlight the tremendous impact that school counselors can have in helping students achieve success and plan for their future. Every year has a specific theme, and this year’s theme was “School Counseling: Standards-Based, Student-Focused.” 

“The idea isn’t necessarily to celebrate us. The point of the week is to shine a light on the variety of things that we are involved in,” said Los Alamitos High School counselor Mr. Riehm. 

Events for counseling week are planned out as an optional photo challenge to get students and counselors to share their varying celebration plans. Everyone can see how others are celebrating across the country using #NSCW24 on social media platforms. 

The photo challenges for this year were as follows: 

Monday, Feb. 5, 2024: I use standards to develop a school counseling program that… or I’m participating in Black Lives Matter at Schools Week of Action by…

Tuesday, Feb. 6, 2024: I use ASCA Student Standards to develop interventions that…

Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2024: The ASCA standards I depend on the most are…

Thursday, Feb. 8, 2024: I am student-focused because…

Friday, Feb. 9, 2024: I advocate for the school counseling profession by…

How Los Al observes counseling week 

At Los Al, students can celebrate by stopping by the WellSpace, College and Career Center, and counseling office to thank their counselors. Additionally, Los Al held “lunch with a counselor” behind the PAC throughout the week. At this rare event, students played games, talked, and thanked their counselors in a personal way. It can also be a time for students to talk about their futures. 

“I love talking to students about college and their future because any doubts, fears, or disbelief in themselves [can be eased] by telling them that they can do it,” Mr. Riehm said.

Counselors are forest rangers; they are there to say that it’s your path and nobody else’s.”

— Mr. Riehm, Los Al counselor

“Her dedication and work towards helping students reach their success and their careers has inspired me,” senior Nathan Garcia said about his counselor Ms. Hutchinson. 

The value of counseling

Students at Los Al enjoy visiting their counselors if they are struggling with personal issues or need advice but also just to talk and catch up. Counselors are great resources of support for students, regardless of what they want to pursue in their life.

For seniors especially, counselors provide solutions to their worries about college and what career path they want to pursue. The initial stress of applications and essays is easier knowing that a counselor is close by to offer support.

“[Ms. Hutchinson] gave me good college suggestions and told me possible career pathways, which is why I’m going into the field of study I want to,” Jada Gaither, a senior, said.

Counseling also helps in promoting student awareness of their interests and challenging them to seek opportunities. While not all students at Los Al take advantage of the resources counselors offer, they are always there when students find themselves in a bind. 

“I appreciate Ms. Hutchinson so much. I think that if I didn’t have her [as my counselor], I don’t know where I’d be,” Gaither said. 

For counselors like Mr. Riehm, the most rewarding thing about his job is the variety of situations he gets to face everyday. In a typical day-to-day, students come to his office for schedule changes, relationship concerns, or emotional support. 

“I really love teenagers and people. And the most exciting and interesting people are teenagers,” Mr. Riehm said. “We are super proud of our students.”

Because today is the last day to do so, Griffins, make sure you go see your counselor and thank them in person! 

$50
$1000