Los Al’s Winter Assembly

A look into what Los Al has coming up at the start of second semester
Los Al had their Winter Assembly this  Tuesday and announced the nominees for Winter Formal court.
Victoria Troncoso
Los Al had their Winter Assembly this Tuesday and announced the nominees for Winter Formal court.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA —  Los Alamitos High School had its annual Winter Assembly this week on Tuesday, Jan. 16. Students watched a winter sports highlight video, met the Winter Formal and Top Griffin nominees, participated in games with ASB, watched varsity song perform with varsity boys basketball, and enjoyed a number by Advanced Dance. 

The assembly also informed students of important upcoming dates, like the day of Winter Formal (Saturday, Jan. 20) and Top Griffin (Tuesday, Jan. 23), and which sports are currently in season.

In a video, ASB spotlighted the following winter sports: girls and boys soccer, girls and boys basketball, wrestling, surf, cheer, and girls and boys water polo. Los Al teams show up and show out!

Next in the assembly, students watched Los Al’s varsity song and varsity boys basketball perform. They performed a collab of several TikTok songs and dances. The boys basketball team only had time to rehearse this dance one time; considering this, the boys did a fine job with the dances. While watching this performance, the gym filled with students’ laughter and amusement because of how spontaneous the dances were.

Our ASB team also announced this year’s Winter Formal nominees at the assembly. Los Al seniors can be nominated for formal king and queen, and juniors can be nominated for prince and princess. Our queen nominees this year are Sam Arce, Michaela Ibrahim, Joelle Kaiser and Kayla Kim. The king nominees are Matt Cheng, Ren Gonzalez, Aaron Litt and Michael Yoon.

Starting with the prince nominees, we have Derek Begley, Connor Meehan, and Joey Santagata. Our princess nominees are Mikayla Aguayo, Aubrey Ahn, Hannah Buhler and Ava Gonzalez. Griffins, make sure to vote for this year’s Winter Formal court on the @losalofficial Instagram page.

“I feel excited. I wasn’t going to do it initially, but my friends voted for me without me knowing, so I thought, ‘Well why not do it now?’ The assembly was very fun, and I’m excited to see how it goes,” senior and king nominee Aaron Litt said.

Students had the pleasure of watching the Advanced Dance team put on a show for students and staff. From this performance, Griffins could see each of the dancers’ dedication and enthusiasm. The performers danced to a collaboration of multiple fun-spirited songs, with exciting choreography matching the energy of the songs. The dancers were able to keep the audience’s attention and keep everyone psyched up.

Throughout the assembly, Griffins were able to participate in fun games that the ASB assembly commissioners set up. For one, they brought down four students from each grade to participate in a game where you spun around 10 times, then ran to the half-court line and back to the next person in your grade until all four people had gone.

Another game that was set up was the traditional dodgeball, pitting the queen and king nominees against the prince, princess, and Top Griffin nominees.

“I love being a part of ASB because helping set up the assemblies is fun, and I love all the new friends I’ve made by being a part of this club,” said sophomore and ASB member Colby Ledterman.

As usual, the assembly was closed out by ASB members leading all grades in the Los Al Roller Coaster cheer. Overall, the assembly was phenomenal; ASB and everyone part of the assembly did a great job of executing this entertaining event.