Los Al’s lunch ‘Dr. Pepper Toss’

Los Al’s varsity football team competed against teachers in a thrilling football toss game
Cora Miller
Participants of the Dr. Pepper Toss gathered for a photo.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — On Oct. 26 during lunch, Los Alamitos High School teachers played against members of the varsity football team in an exciting “Dr. Pepper” football toss game. The event kicked off with a high-spirited atmosphere as students gathered in the gym. In the beginning, footballs were flying throughout the air as participants warmed up. The goal was to toss footballs into a board with a hole, aiming for the perfect shot in order to score points. 

During the football toss event, students played on the right, and teachers played on the left. (Cora Miller)

The game consisted of six thrilling rounds, each filled with anticipation and cheers from the crowd. As the competition heated up, the teachers and students showcased their best throws, trying to outdo each other in accuracy and technique. The teachers were throwing overhand, and the students were spiraling the ball underhand; the students’ method seemed to be working out way better than the teachers’.

Sophomore Jordan Jackson was sitting on the bleachers watching the game.

“So far it is really entertaining. I’m glad I came,” she said. “It’s crazy how the teachers are able to keep up with the students.”

With each round, the excitement grew, and the screams from the spectators echoed throughout the gym. The football toss game not only provided a fun-filled activity for everyone involved, but it also fostered a sense of community throughout Los Al, with teachers and students coming together and building connections beyond the classroom. 

In the end, the teachers ended up victorious. Their throwing skills were on point, and they managed to score more points than the students. It was an impressive display of precision. The teachers showed that age and experience can still give them an edge when it comes to tossing footballs into a board’s hole. The students put up a good fight, but the teachers proved to be the ultimate champions of the day.

“Teachers vs. students: Teachers rule. We win everything that we do anyway,” said Coach Bo, a spectator. “Students, I love you, but teachers dominate. Let’s go, teachers!”

Overall, the football toss game was a fantastic event that showcased the talents and competitive spirit of both teachers and students, creating lasting memories for all. When the game ended, Griffins left the gym with smiles after enjoying a great end-of-the-week activity.