News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The middle schoolers pose with the older color guard members as they get ready for their first performance.
Los Al color guard and drumline's 2024 spring showcase
Jaya Eapen, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- After finishing their successful spring seasons, Los Al's color guard and drumline put on a stunning showcase last Sunday,...

Gavin Ordinario pushing it in the 800 meter run after winning the 1600 meter run a couple hours before.
Surf League Finals was a heated meet for Los Al's track athletes
Ella Suos, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – On April 26, 2024, the track became a thriller show as Los Alamitos High School’s athletes lost themselves on the track...

Students were racing to the crowd as they attempted to catch a glimpse of Ryan Seacrest and other KIIS FM staff.
Ryan Seacrest stops by Los Alamitos High School
Reese Neiger and Kalea Davies April 26, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — The music blasted in the quad as Los Alamitos High School students danced along during KIIS FM's visit with Ryan Seacrest!...

Surf’s up: Back to School Dance

Los Al students had a blast at this year’s back to school dance
Students+partied+all+night+at+the+Back+from+the+Beach+dance.+
Joshua Dixon
Students partied all night at the “Back from the Beach” dance.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Shaka, Griffins! Grab your towel, sandals, and swimwear, and don’t forget sunscreen! We hope your summer vacation was gnarly, but the fun ain’t over yet.

To kick off the new school year, last Saturday was Los Alamitos High School’s annual Back to School Dance. The dance started at 7:30 p.m. and ended at 10:30 p.m. With excitement and energy, students gathered for a great time on campus.

The theme was “Back from the Beach,” inspired by “Teen Beach Movie.” ASB encouraged students to wear their best “surfers versus bikers” outfits. Most Griffins wore beach attire, including shorts, flannels, and sunglasses. The dance had a mix of music from a live DJ, snacks, a photo booth, and a video game truck.

To make sure everyone had fun safely, Los Al had a security team keeping the dance in a gated environment. All attendees had to have Breathalyzer checks and security pat-downs before entering the campus.

“Because it was dark outside, it made all the cool lights pop out,” said Los Al student Savannah Suniga, freshman.

Additionally, there was an ice cream truck that added an extra layer of treats for students’ enjoyment. The truck had many tasty options including ice cream sandwiches and push pops.

“My favorite so far is the ice cream truck!” student Glenn Cabrera, freshman, said during the dance.

The game truck was filled with talented gamers playing video games such as Fortnite, Roblox, Pac-Man, and Madden. The inside of the truck was very colorful, with many TVs for everyone to get a turn to play.

“The game truck had cool lights and good games,” said student Antonio Garcia, freshman.

Many dance attendees were getting their poses ready for the photo booth. The line went around the corner with the excited students ready to take their photos with their friends.

As the DJ played the hottest, hits people started to get their groove on. The dance floor was a blast with students showing off their dance moves.

“The dance floor has amazing vibes,” student Mathew Meyer, senior, said.

As the night started to wrap up, Los Al students raced to the food and water stations, as well as the ice cream truck. Students started to leave the campus, heading home as they talked about their fun night!