The truth is that women can be strong, feminine, passionate, and compassionate. Women should be viewed the same whether they like pink or not. Colors do not determine you. 
Pink's poison: The negative impacts of one color in society
Kalea Davies, Staff Writer • May 17, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Purple paint covers my childhood bedroom, all black outfits invade my childhood closet with no pink in sight. I became a...

One of Chef Makos dishes is a delicious traditional Tonkotsu Ramen!
New Mako Ramen restaurant opens in Seal Beach
Francesca McCall-Hokama, Staff Writer • May 17, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS CA -- The new Mako Ramen restaurant had its soft opening on April 10 in the Old Ranch Center in Seal Beach. The owner, Louis Kim,...

Los Alamitos High Schools teacher Mr. Barker, who is in the run for Americas Favorite Teacher.
Mr. Barker: America's next favorite teacher?
Victoria Troncoso, Staff Writer • May 16, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA --  America holds a contest for teachers to be chosen as America's favorite. Teachers from all over the country are chosen...

Los Alamitos School District presents teachers with ‘Teacher of the Year Award’

Brilliant teachers from across the school district were awarded for their dedication and hard work
Los Alamitos Unified School District Instagram
Mrs. Castiglione, the drama teacher for Los Alamitos High School, receiving her award.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — This year, the Los Alamitos Unified District awarded a teacher from each school with the Teacher of the Year award. Teachers awarded were Paula Pugh, Suzanne McElderry, Tina Sudo, Michelle Anderson, Morgan Cochrane, Jennifer Holland, Evan Grandon, Brandi Amundson, Robert Harrell, and Stacy Castiglione.

“Overall, there was so much inspiration and love in that room,” Ms. Cochrane, a fourth grade Rossmoor Elementary School teacher, said.

Mrs. Cochrane receiving her award plaque. (LAUSD Instagram)

At the award ceremony on May 1, there was a catered dinner, a professional photographer with a photo booth, and decorated tables where teachers sat with friends, family, administration, and members of the district board. The awards ceremony was held at the Old Ranch Country Club, hosted by LAEF. Principals from each school gave a small speech about their chosen teacher and awarded them a personalized plaque. The district handed out gold medals to the wonderful teachers as well as gift cards.

“It was a very nice evening, and all of us felt very special,” Brandi Amundson, McAuliffe math teacher, said.

McAuliffe Mrs. Brandi with her family during the awards ceremony. (LAUSD Instagram)

Additionally, Mr. Harrel, the instrumental teacher for Oak Middle School, Ms. McElderry, the music teacher for Lee Elementary, and Mrs. Castiglione, the drama teacher for Los Alamitos High School, were all represented during the ceremony. This event gave the spotlighted teachers the chance to show off their role in changing the way students perceive the world while still exposing them to new facets of the world.

“It was extra meaningful to personally know so many of the families and administrators at the event,” Ms. McElderry said.

This event was a great opportunity for the community to recognize teachers in the district for their hard work and to show them how much LAUSD truly appreciates our teachers.