Students were racing to the crowd as they attempted to catch a glimpse of Ryan Seacrest and other KIIS FM staff.
Ryan Seacrest stops by Los Alamitos High School
Reese Neiger and Kalea DaviesApril 26, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — The music blasted in the quad as Los Alamitos High School students danced along during KIIS FM's visit with Ryan Seacrest!...

Students study in the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, the main branch of the New York public library, located in the heart of Manhattan.
Colleges welcome the class of 2028
Nandi Smith, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – After a stressful college application season, the class of 2024 has officially received all of their admissions decisions...

Electric car charging in Birmingham, UK City Centre.
Courtesy of Unsplash
Electric vehicles are taking over the world
Olivia Cooks, Staff Writer • April 23, 2024

Tesla's Model 3 is one of their most popular vehicles and reaches a top speed of 125mph.

Lunar New Year: How to Celebrate

Lunar New Year is this Saturday, Feb. 10, and there are many cultural events throughout Orange County to celebrate
Ringing in the Year of the Dragon through these cultural events!
Sydney Forsyte

LOS ALAMITOS, CA–  This year’s Lunar New Year will be taking place on Saturday, Feb. 10. Many organizations and individuals in Orange County will be celebrating the welcome of the Year of the Dragon. 

Lunar New Year, as discussed in a previous article, is a historically rich holiday that dates back to ancient China. In many cultures, it used as a celebration of spring’s arrival and a new year in the lunisolar calendar. 

One of the ways that this holiday is typically celebrated is through a Dragon Dance which is meant to bring good luck and blessings for the community. Historically, dancers carry the fabric dragon body on sticks and move it following the maneuvers of the dragon’s head. As a result, the dance requires great coordination and practice. The dance is typically performed in times of great celebration, including on Lunar New Year. 

This previous Wednesday, Feb. 7, the Global Culture Education Foundation in partnership with Los Al’s Asian Culture hosted a Dragon Dance to celebrate and spread awareness about the Lunar New Year. The two dancers making up the dragon costume performed throughout lunch in front of the PAC. They were accompanied by two drummers and a cymbalist. 

“The Asian Culture Club’s mission is to amplify the diversity and impact of Asian cultures, and we do a lot of events like these,” said Ally Hatakeyama, of Asian Culture Club. “Last year, we had the same event with student volunteers.”

Additionally, there are various cultural events being held throughout Orange County in celebration of the event. At Segerstrom Center, the Pacific Symphony will be hosting a Lunar New Year concert featuring both eastern and western styles of dance to the accompaniment of the orchestra. The music will comprise songs from Vietnamese, Korean, and Chinese cultures. 

“The event’s intent is to honor Orange County’s Asian American Community’s steadfast support of Pacific Symphony and other artistic organizations,” said the Pacific Symphony website

The Huntington Library will also be celebrating the holiday on Saturday and Sunday with a sold out ten to five event. Lion dancers, a mask-changing artist, martial arts demonstrations, and more will be available to those in attendance in the Chinese Garden. 

Enjoy the new year Los Al!

$50
$1000