With prom coming up, its finally time for promposal season, so lets make it perfect!
Promposal do's and don'ts
Issy Steinberg, Editor • May 2, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- With prom just around the corner, it's time for the balloons, flower trails, and homemade signs. You’ll see tons of “they...

The middle schoolers pose with the older color guard members as they get ready for their first performance.
Los Al color guard and drumline's 2024 spring showcase
Jaya Eapen, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- After finishing their successful spring seasons, Los Al's color guard and drumline put on a stunning showcase last Sunday,...

Gavin Ordinario pushing it in the 800 meter run after winning the 1600 meter run a couple hours before.
Surf League Finals was a heated meet for Los Al's track athletes
Ella Suos, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – On April 26, 2024, the track became a thriller show as Los Alamitos High School’s athletes lost themselves on the track...

Award show season

Many award shows have recently been occurring, but what is each about?
Reese Neiger
Many award shows have different purposes; what awards do they all give?

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Various award shows have occurred throughout January and will continue into March. Award shows that are currently happening or that have recently happened are the Golden Globes, Emmys, Oscars, Grammys, People’s Choice Awards, and more. There are so many events and categories, and knowing what they mean can take a lot of work. 

There has been an influx of award shows happening recently because many were postponed due to the SAG strike and were rescheduled around January and February. Not only could the award show not take place because of absent writers but also because of actors and actresses. Many actresses and actors couldn’t conduct interviews highlighting their new work, meaning it would be unlikely for them to attend award shows. Now that the strike is over, there have been many shows taking place to award work from movies, TV shows, and music. 

The Golden Globes

The 2024 Golden Globes took place on Jan. 7, hosted by Jo Koy. The Golden Globes award great film and television, with 27 different categories. 

Some winners from this year include “Oppenheimer” for the Drama Motion Picture award, “Barbie” for Cinematic and Box Office Achievements, “What Was I Made for” by Billie Eilish winning Original Song, and Emma Stone in “Poor Things” for Actress in a Musical or Comedy Motion Picture.

This year’s Golden Globes host, Jo Koy, got into controversy after he made an offensive joke referencing the “Barbie” movie. Jo Koy made another comment on Taylor Swift and the NFL, sparking even more anger to viewers. Taylor Swift didn’t respond but had a disappointed expression on her face. 

“I think it was a light-hearted joke,” said Alyssa Mathews, a Los Alamitos High School freshman, “but it served no purpose, and it made sense why [Taylor Swift] reacted like that.”

The Emmys

The 2024 Emmys occurred on Jan. 15, hosted by Anthony Anderson. The Emmys award great television series and specials in over 15 categories. 

Anthony Anderson had a special twist for this year’s speeches: Any award winners taking too long to finish their speech would be greeted with a sign saying “Wrap it up”! Anthony Anderson’s mom held up this sign, garnering many laughs in the crowd and viewers at home. The nominations recently came out Tuesday, Jan. 23.

“That sounds funny,” said Rory Young, another Los Al freshman. “I think his mom was very funny with the sign. [It was] even better than the music they usually play.”

The Oscars

The 2024 Oscars are approaching on March 10 and will be hosted by Jimmy Kimmel. The Oscars award many aspects of the film industry, such as makeup artists, costume design, actresses and actors, directors, and more. The nominations recently came out Tuesday, Jan. 23.

The Grammys

The Grammys will be held on Feb. 4, hosted for the second time by Trevor Noah. The Grammys typically award artists in the music industry for their excellent work. Nominations were released on Nov. 10 for music released between Oct. 1, 2022, and Sept. 15, 2023.  Some nominations include Olivia Rodrigo’s album “Guts,” Taylor Swift’s album “Midnights,” Szas’s album “SOS,” and a lot more.

“I love music, and I know how difficult it can be to have your music heard,” said senior Sam Sutherland. “My favorite part is seeing the musicians that worked their way up from nothing accomplishing their dreams.”

The People’s Choice Awards

The People’s Choice Awards are happening on Feb. 18 and will be hosted by Simu Liu. The People’s Choice Awards award has many different types of nominees and categories, including athletes, actors, musicians, and socialites. The nominees were announced on Oct. 28.

These recent award ceremonies are aimed at recognizing the hard work of actors, musicians, and more. Awards not only bring recognition to them but clearly bring together the community with some of our favorite celebrities and good laughs. 

$50
$1000