As the 2023-24 school year comes to an end,  Los Als Griffins begin evolving into future Trojans, Broncos, Pirates, Pilgrims, and Sagehens.
Five star Los Al seniors and their college decisions
Jasmine Lee, Editor • May 3, 2024

Jamisen Penick- Boise State University Major: Communications Minor: Film and Media studies Applied to ASU, Boise, CSULB, SDSU (rejected) ...

Get ready and come watch the final improv show of the year with Los Al Live.
The last Los Al Live improv show of the year
Victoria Troncoso, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA --  Los Alamitos High School is hosting a live improv show on campus in room 513, today, May 3, at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.  The...

Better FAFSA delayed the typically smooth college process by months, forcing colleges to think critically about how to distribute financial aid offers.
How 'Better FAFSA' affected the class of 2028
Nandi Smith, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – Every year, approximately 17 million students in the U.S. apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)....

The new year means new possibilites for Los Al Griffins

Griffins explain how they are gearing up for their winter break getaways after a long fall semester
Issy Steinberg via Canva
The new year and new semester gives seniors a new perspective.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — With seasons shifting and the fall semester closing, Los Al Griffins are looking forward to a break from school and the new year. Especially because school is going to be closed for a much needed two-week break, many students are feeling relieved and anxious of what second semester could bring.

The stress of finals has definitely been a major road block for all students at Los Al, but with the new year, there are plenty of activities to look forward to doing with family and friends.

The end of the fall semester

With 2024 just around the corner, it is easy to want nothing more than the fall semester to close. Unwanted stress, mental breakdowns, and final reviews are definitely not what the doctor ordered. Many students have started to feel the pressures of finals even more because they were still learning new material last week and do not feel prepared for the fun that their break can offer them.

The unmistakable pressure to do well on a final that they have felt unprepared for has caused some students to feel less optimistic of the possibilities of the second semester. For some seniors, this has caused them to think even more about graduation and what that could mean for their future.

Caroline Legere explains how the fall semester is always tough and feels long in comparison to the spring semester. (Mrs. Franzen)

“[Fall semester is] the biggest hill to go up on the way to graduation. After spring semester starts, it’s downhill from there,” said senior Caroline Legere.

Along with many students, Legere expressed the true annoyance that the end of fall semester can bring as students want nothing more than to start their winter break. Thankfully, spring semester brings hope after a tiring and long fall semester.

New year, new us

Even with the last week of fall semester feeling incredibly long and tiring, Griffins can look forward to the excitement that winter break can bring. With a new year, Griffins can make New Year’s resolutions to do better in the spring semester and can expect to feel lighter and happier as they enter 2024.

Even if plans haven’t been made yet, it is important to recognize that a new year always brings different ways of celebration. Especially for seniors, they can think more about graduation and plans for college. Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors can start thinking about the classes they can take for their next year of high school.

“I’m ready for new opportunities. I’m looking forward to graduating. Over break, we’re going to Vegas to see Luke Bryan in concert,” said Jake Welsh, a senior.

Along with the fun that concerts can bring, many students can expect that the spring semester will bring instant relief from a heavier workload. Spring semester is the last hurdle before the end of the school year, so there is more of a reason to celebrate achievements rather than look back on the stress they gave.

Sharon Park, a senior, is excited for the activities that the new year and new semester can bring. (Mrs. Franzen)

“I’m looking forward to starting over with a new semester, and senior events like Winter Formal, Prom, and other senior activities. My goal is not to slack off too hard during second semester,” said Sharon Park, a senior.

Looking Ahead for 2024

There is so much to be excited about with the upcoming spring semester. Looking back at what could’ve been a great test or what should’ve been a better grade is pointless when the spring semester can bring new, exciting optimism.

Especially because winter break is almost here, Los Al students should look forward to their plans (or make some if they haven’t yet) and continue to be excited for what is to come.

“I’m going to Costa Rica over winter break [and] I’m going to see my family and hang out,” said senior Andrew Menez. “I’m not going to make any New Year’s resolutions, as I don’t think I can dedicate myself.”

While spring semester still means it is important to give your best effort, it is also important to think about all of the awesome activities and fun planned till the end of the school year. Who knows what could happen? There could be unexpected days off, more minimum days, free periods, or longer lunches that can keep everyone entertained until the end of the semester.

Enjoy your winter break, Griffins, and look forward to the excitement of spring semester!

$50
$1000