Emerging Leaders helped Griffins with their recent event

The Emerging Leaders club held an event for students at Los Al to bring awareness to mental health
Kalea Davies
Emerging Leaders holding poster with information that advocate for mental health.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA —  On Dec. 13 at lunch, Emerging Leaders hosted an event to help students get resources and further help with mental health. Emerging Leaders is a Los Alamitos High School club that helps students develop leadership skills while helping the community. At the event, the club members gave out stickers, bracelets, and treats, all with information about mental health resources.

“What we’re doing today is promoting mental health during a stressful holiday and final season,” said Ally Hatakeyama, the president of Emerging Leaders. “We want to promote leadership and mental health at the same time so students can advocate for their own mental health and for whatever they believe.”

Emerging Leaders also worked with OC Public Health and representatives for the event. The representatives worked alongside Emerging Leaders, passing out different things to give helpful information to the students that could help them.

The club gave out cards with QR codes to students to resources like The OC WarmLine an emotional support resource and the 988 Lifeline, a suicide and crisis line.

“We have a lot of resources displayed from [Orange Country Health Care Agency] and different hotlines,” said Hatakeyama. “We have wristbands and keychains just to publicize the resources and things that people can reach out if they need help.”

“I think resources for mental health are important because they can help students who are struggling with different mental health problems,” said Sophie Long, a freshman.

The Emerging Leaders club event brought attention to student’s mental health and actions to help manage and maintain it. Although it is a stressful time of the year there is lots of support and help available for Griffins.

This article was updated on Dec. 19, 2023 to correct the information identifying Ally Hatekayama. Previously, Ally’s name was spelled Ali Hata Koama and her title was listed as club member when she is actually the club’s President.