Premier Dance Arts of Los Al’s exciting take on ‘The Nutcracker’

The Los Alamitos-based dance company will soon be regaling audiences with “The Sugar Plum’s Realm”
Sugar Plums Realm will have five performances in total with two separate casts.
Sydney Forsyte
“Sugar Plum’s Realm” will have five performances in total with two separate casts.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — From Dec. 8-10, Premier Dance Arts of Los Alamitos will be performing “Sugar Plum’s Realm,” which is a shortened rendition of the classic ballet, “The Nutcracker.” The performance has been coordinated by the artistic directors of the studio, Renee and David Kim. 

“For the last few months, the dancers have been learning new choreography, rehearsing, practicing, putting their sweat and their tears into this. We’ve been building new sets, creating brand new costumes, and really trying to create some magic,” David Kim said. 

The performance will include the famous snow scene, in which dancers dressed as snowflakes whirl and leap across the stage. Most of the upper levels, Levels 4 and 5, participate in the snow scene because larger ensemble dances with dancers moving in closer quarters require more experienced dancers. 

“My favorite part of [the performance is] snow [because of] how immersive it is for the dancers and the audience. It allows everyone to be transported to a different realm… like complete magic,” said Kailyn Bober, a McAuliffe Middle School student who plays the role of Clara. 

“What is unique about this company’s performance is how immersive it truly is… Watching this show will allow you to dip into the waters of the magical show, ‘The Nutcracker,'” said Kailyn Bober, who will dance the role of Clara. (Sydney Forsyte)

Also included in the studio’s rendition of “The Nutcracker” is the entire second act of the original ballet, which takes place in the Land of Sweets. The second half boasts a variety of solo and group dances from various cultures and sweets, including the Spanish, Chinese, and Sugarplum Fairy dances, while the main character, Clara, participates. 

Several students from the Los Alamitos Unified School District will be performing, and for some it will be their debut in a lead role.

“I have never been the lead before, so being Clara is truly opening my eyes to new experiences,” Bober said.  

Included in general admission are access to the Terrace Christmas Market, which will be held outside of the studio before the performance and includes a Christmas tree lighting ceremony. In addition, McAuliffe’s choir will be performing carols throughout the market on opening night. 

“I think it would be a good idea for other Los Al students to come and view the performance because… I know a lot of people don’t know about ballet, especially ‘The Nutcracker.’ Being that we are the only ballet studio in Los Al, I think it would be a fun experience for people to come and enjoy,” Bober said.