News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

Veterans Day: More than a three-day weekend

A day to remember and appreciate our amazing and brave veterans
Cora Miller
Many Veterans Day posters are hung up around Los Alamitos High School.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — As you may know, Los Alamitos High School has no school on Friday, Nov. 10 to observe Veterans Day, which is Saturday. While many are excited for a day off, it is crucial to remember the true meaning behind this holiday. This significant holiday is on Nov. 11 each year, and it is a time to honor and express our appreciation to the brave men and women who have selflessly served in the United States Armed Forces. 

According to The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, Veterans Day, originally known as Armistice Day, was established on Nov. 11, 1919, to commemorate the end of World War I. It was a day to honor the veterans who fought for peace and freedom. In 1954, the name was officially changed to Veterans Day to include all American veterans who have served. 

Los Al sophomore Macie Davanon shared her plans for Veterans Day this year.

“My grandpa is a veteran,” Davanon said. “Every year we go to his house in Palm Springs for a family get-together and we feast. It is a good time to reflect on our history and share our thank you’s to my grandpa.”

There are many ways for Griffins to show our acknowledgement and respect for our veterans on this special day. One meaningful way is to simply thank or write thank-you letters to veterans who have served or are currently serving. This is a simple yet powerful gesture that can make a difference. It’s also important to remember that veterans deserve our support not just on Veterans Day, but every day.

Another way to honor veterans is by educating ourselves and others about their service and the sacrifices they have made. Take the time to research and learn about the different branches, the history of conflicts, and the stories of individual veterans. By getting an understanding of their experiences, we can gain a deeper appreciation for their courage.

In addition to educating ourselves, we can also support organizations that provide assistance and resources to veterans in need by donating to charities such as the Wounded Warrior Project or even going to a local, veteran-owned small business. 

Mr. Hong, a teacher at Los Al, is a veteran.

“Every year, my friend David (U.S. Army Veteran) and I go eat at a restaurant that has a special menu for veterans,” Mr. Hong wrote in an email. “During our meal, we remember our friends who served with us, the good and bad about military life, and gratitude for being able to live in America. Veterans Day is a day to thank all of our service members.”

Have an amazing three-day weekend Griffins, and don’t forget to make a veteran feel appreciated.

View Comments (1)
$50
$1000