News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

Student spotlight: Ryan Ramirez

A behind-the-scenes look at Los Al’s ASB president
Nandi Smith
A well-known face on campus, Ryan Ramirez, a senior, is this year’s ASB president.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – We hear him on the intercom to start announcements every day during fourth period. We see him rallying up student excitement during assemblies. We see him on the Los Alamitos High School Instagram (@losalofficial). But who exactly is Ryan Ramirez? 

A senior at Los Al, Ramirez has made his mark as ASB president and demonstrates tireless efforts to help the Los Al community. He actively participates in leadership roles to help promote Los Al and give back to his community. 

“I’m a part of both ASB and MUN [Model United Nations],” Ramirez said. “I am able to reach out to our community through community service, helping at our football games, [along with getting] alumni to come back and have a good time [and getting] our current students to come back and have a good time.”

Ramirez joined ASB because he wanted to have a more active role at Los Al. He wants students to feel like they can always have a positive place to come to. Instead of students dreading school, Ramirez wants them to come knowing that they will be welcomed and loved. 

“I always enjoyed dressing up for the spirit days, going to all the events, and helping [lend] a hand. Being a part of ASB really helped to exemplify that, and it made me feel like I was making a positive impact on both my community and my school,” Ramirez said.

What is it like to be ASB president?

As ASB president, Ramirez has firsthand access to all of the activities on campus, and it helps him understand the four A’s – Academics, Activities, Arts, and Athletics – in a deeper way. 

“It’s definitely a ton of fun. I truly get to help with the behind-the-scenes of so many events and get to really understand all the things that go into it,” Ramirez said. 

Ramirez believes that it is an honor to be representative of both sides of the school: the faculty and students. He addresses issues on campus, offers advice, and helps other student leaders find their voices. 

“I think having an ASB president makes sure that our school is accomplishing what needs to be done, as well as helping the student leaders that are already present at our school be highlighted through the things they do,” Ramirez said. 

Along with his responsibilities as ASB president, Ramirez helps host an MUN event known as Griffmun. This event is held every year, and other schools visit the Los Al community to participate in a conference. At Griffmun, they hold a fundraiser every year and try to get the community to grow as a whole. 

Last year, this event was held for the after-school program LAEF (Los Alamitos Education Foundation), and it was focused on empowering youth leaders to get more involved. Ramirez felt that the conference helped promote the inclusivity of Los Al and support other communities.

Getting to highlight and work with [the different parts of Los Al] makes me feel more appreciative of where I go, where I’m from, and the people I’m surrounded by.”

— Ryan Ramirez, ASB president

“I feel like [Griffmun] really helps our community because it puts a good name on it, allowing us to host our own conference. We are also supporting many different small communities, [and] we donate every time we host a conference,” Ramirez said.

What does Ryan Ramirez enjoy doing after school?

Outside of helping his community, Ramirez enjoys sewing, surfing, and board game or arcade nights with friends. His best friends, seniors Philip Pinto and Kyle Corbin, are whom he enjoys spending the most time with, but he also is close friends with seniors Fiona Sampson-Farrell, Tatum Abe, Ava Ortiz, Juliana Arizpe, and Alissa Flores-Martinez. 

“I am lucky enough to have amazing friends who do amazing things, and they inspire me to always be a better person,” Ramirez said. “Both of my siblings as well. They are great, caring people who have taught me compassion, support, and how to be creative.”

Ramirez feels that his family and friends, without a doubt, are always there to support and care for him. They give him advice when he doesn’t know what to do, which he thinks is very helpful in allowing him to go about his life. 

“They are also [people] I can go and talk to without having to feel embarrassed or nervous or I can’t say certain things,” our ASB president said.

Along with finding comfort in his family, Ramirez’s favorite way to reduce stress after a long school day is to sleep because it allows him to calm down and recenter himself. Some days, however, sewing is a good alternative. 

“There are some days where I can maybe sew a blanket and give it to a family member or friend, [and] that’s fun to do,” Ramirez said.

For the future…

In college, Ramirez plans to major in political science with hopefully becoming an entertainment lawyer someday. This ambition, he explained, has made him excited to be able to unlock a new pathway he hasn’t discovered yet, complete with new challenges and horizons. 

“I’m definitely excited to start a new journey of my life [and] to see the next step of where I can go,” Ramirez said. 

As Los Al’s ASB president, Ramirez exemplifies the 4 A’s that are continuously highlighted across the school campus. Thanks to Ryan, we are able to have fun dances, exciting activities, and spirited assemblies at Los Al.

View Comments (1)
$50
$1000