Students from Germany visit Los Alamitos High school

German exchange students experience the differences between the U.S. and Germany
Mr. Hansen
Los Al students and exchange students from Germany gather around the beach for a group photo.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — On Oct. 17, German students began their three-week trip from Germany to California. The trip offered students many different environments and lifestyles from what they were accustomed to. Los Al families hosted German students while they visited California. With many differences between the U.S. and Germany, there was much for the exchange students to discover.

Diets, food portions, and food options in the United States differ when compared to Germany’s portions and cuisine. In the U.S., the food portions tend to be much bigger than in European countries like Germany. The U.S. also tends to have more chemicals in their food to enhance flavors, which most other countries don’t have.

“I ate a lot of fast food. I don’t do that in Germany,” said Anna Basic, a German exchange student. “I think I’ve had one home-cooked meal while I’ve been here, and I mainly eat at home.”

California offers many fun activities and sightseeing locations for both locals and visitors. From amusement parks to day trips to the beach, there are many new and exciting places to visit.

“In my opinion, [the most fun activity was] Knott’s Scary Farm,” said Philip Rummel, a German exchange student.

“I also loved to travel to San Diego,” said Lisa Reusch, another German student.

The German exchange student program has been running for over 35 years at Los Al, with new participants and returning Griffins hosting students again. The program allows young students to travel, explore, and experience California with a fresh perspective. Any Los Al student who offers their home to an exchange student from Germany can do the same and travel to Germany as an exchange student from the U.S.

“It’s really the whole experience,” said Amira Boyaci, a German exchange student. “To see how American people live is great.”

The exchange program between Los Al and Germany offers many opportunities to students looking to make friends, experience new things, and travel to places they have never been. The entire experience gives students new memories and knowledge of other cultures.

$50
$1000