The Seal Beach Leos Club

The Leos Club is a volunteer organization focused on bettering and building communities
@sealbeachleos via Instagram
Leos club members cook and serve hot dogs to Cub Scouts at a volunteering event.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA– “Where there’s a need, there’s a Leo” is the motto of the Seal Beach Leos Club. Have you ever thought of who’s behind the Fish Fry, the Seal Beach Christmas parade, or the Arts and Crafts Fair? Those events and more are all hosted and put on by the Lions and Leos Clubs of Seal Beach. 

How did the clubs start? 

The Lions Club was founded in 1917 and made its way to Seal Beach in 1939. The Lions Club is a volunteer-based organization located in cities all around the world. 50 years after the Lions were founded, they formed the Leos Club in 1957. The Leos are an under-18 volunteer group in which minors can help serve their community and benefit from service hours. The two clubs are connected, but the groups have separate meetings and members.

Some of the Seal Beach Leos and Lions Club members volunteering at the Fish Fry. (@sealbeachleos via Instagram)

Club events and activities

Many events are hosted by the Lions and Leos Clubs, such as the Seal Beach pancake breakfasts, Sailing with the Blind, and many more. The most popular event is the Fish Fry, which takes place in Seal Beach every July. Leos help set up, serve, and cook food and make sure that everybody is having a great time. Another event is the Seal Beach Christmas Parade, where Lions and Leos help direct groups and floats through the parade. At the end, the Leos get to walk the parade. The Leos group also helps with school events like the McGaugh Carnival, in which Leos will help cook and serve food and work at booths. 

Why should you join the Leos Club?

The Leos Club is a great way to help the community and build relationships. Many of the club’s events are meant to help the community, the environment, and the Leos themselves. Leos have the opportunity to work in events that can give them a new perspective on the world around them.

Additionally, with volunteer activities come volunteer hours. However many hours you work at an event are the amount of volunteer hours you receive. Sometimes certain events even offer double hours. Volunteer hours go towards graduation awards and even scholarship opportunities.

It’s a fun way to volunteer with friends.”

— Seal Beach Leos Club president Kyan Whiten

How to join

Los Alamitos High School junior Kyan Whiten is president of the Seal Beach Lions Club. Currently, he’s trying to expand it to also become an on-campus Los Al club.

Students can join the Seal Beach Leos Club by contacting Whiten ([email protected]) or joining the Remind (SB-Leos). Once in contact, you can fill out an application form to formally join the club.