Students were racing to the crowd as they attempted to catch a glimpse of Ryan Seacrest and other KIIS FM staff.
Ryan Seacrest stops by Los Alamitos High School
Reese Neiger and Kalea DaviesApril 26, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — The music blasted in the quad as Los Alamitos High School students danced along during KIIS FM's visit with Ryan Seacrest!...

Students study in the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, the main branch of the New York public library, located in the heart of Manhattan.
Colleges welcome the class of 2028
Nandi Smith, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – After a stressful college application season, the class of 2024 has officially received all of their admissions decisions...

Electric car charging in Birmingham, UK City Centre.
Courtesy of Unsplash
Electric vehicles are taking over the world
Olivia Cooks, Staff Writer • April 23, 2024

Tesla's Model 3 is one of their most popular vehicles and reaches a top speed of 125mph.

Staff Spotlight: Bud Jones

Bud, an LAUSD staff member, is an important part of the community
Reese Neiger
A beloved member of the Los Al community, Bud always maintains a smile while on the job.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Many students at Los Alamitos High School know Bud Jones, a security guard who rotates between schools patrolling the area. Bud is well-known on campus and is a favorite among numerous students. He has worked in Los Alamitos Unified School District for almost 11 years, rotating through Los Alamitos Unified School District schools including the high school, McAuliffe Middle School, and Oak Middle School.

Bud has been a favored staff member by the majority of the community. Griffins may know him from seeing him around campus at different LAUSD schools, where he has worked to secure and maintain the campus for students and their safety.

“We walk around, and everything’s secure for you guys,” Bud said. “As long as nobody’s running around, we know everybody’s in class, and then we just watch everything.”

Students at Los Al can see him on campus occasionally during class or passing period. He always offers a wave, a smile, or a small conversation, which can improve their day.

“I like Bud because he is very funny and nice,” said Angel Johnston, a freshman. “His fist bumps are the highlight of my day.”

“Bud is so nice to everyone,” said Alyssa Mathews, another freshman.

On a normal day working at Los Al, Bud smiles as he prepares to continue his day.

Before working for LAUSD, he was a sheriff at the Orange County Sheriff’s Department for 22 years. After he worked as a sheriff, he retired and began working at LAUSD. 

“This is a [more], controlled environment,” Jones said. “The kids are pretty good here.”

Many Los Al staff members have known Bud since they began working at Los Al and see him as a familiar face on campus.

“He knows a lot of the students,” said Mr. Wheeler, a Los Al campus supervisor. “He’s known them since they were young, so he knows a lot about what issues that might have. He’s like a friendly face that they can recognize and say hello to”

Bud enjoys all the schools he works at and does not prefer a certain grade. He works with students in grades sixth to 12th grade, making sure each student is well-behaved and respectful on campus.

“We got to look at everything in perspective,” Jones said. “All you [students] are still kids and still [have to] keep that in perspective.”

Bud’s dedication and love of working with students make him a well-loved LAUSD community member. 

$50
$1000