The Creative Writing Club

Los Al’s Creative Writing Club strives to help students explore their writing potential
Jaya Eapen (Canva)
The Creative Writing Club will help students work on many different forms of writing.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Aiming to encourage the avid writers of Los Alamitos High School, the Creative Writing Club is a place dedicated to helping students grow and explore different genres of writing. Meeting every Monday in room 355, the main focus of the club is to aid students in creating pieces of writing that express themselves. 

Originally started by Los Al alumna Alicia Tan, class of 2023, the Creative Writing Club is currently run by co-presidents Kevin Vu and Maleah Fennessey. They plan on having club members analyze different genres of writing and use them to craft their own work. 

I’m consistently inspired by the conversations had about writing, and I feel [excited to see how the club will progress].”

— Mrs. Franzen, Los Al English and Journalism teacher

“We’ll have examples of short stories that show how [different] methods or techniques [are] used in a story [and use those methods to] achieve a certain goal,” Vu said. 

During the meeting, students will work together on different projects including poems, short stories, novels, and plays. Throughout November, members will also be able to participate in NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month), an online program that challenges students to write different creative stories. Ultimately, the club is focused on supporting Los Al writers to explore wherever their imagination may take them.

Sophomore Katie Arnoult is a new member of the Creative Writing Club.

“I’m excited to collaborate with other people who share the same interests as me and [to try] new things, especially with poetry and more creative writing,” Arnoult said.

Many posters advocating for the Creative Writing Club were posted around campus. (Jaya Eapen)

While there are many different clubs on campus centered around STEM, the Creative Writing Club has become a rarity and a breath of fresh air for students wanting to express themselves through words. It allows for more opportunities for students to write outside the difficult confines of English class and connect to writing through a creative outlet.

“We want to encourage people to see that kind of passion, and we also want them to become better at knowing how to write a story so that they can know how stories work,” Vu said.

Make sure to visit the Creative Writing Club next Monday and discover your own passion for writing!

$50
$1000