News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

As the 2023-24 school year comes to an end,  Los Als Griffins begin evolving into future Trojans, Broncos, Pirates, Pilgrims, and Sagehens.
Five star Los Al seniors and their college decisions
Jasmine Lee, Editor • May 3, 2024

Jamisen Penick- Boise State University Major: Communications Minor: Film and Media studies Applied to ASU, Boise, CSULB, SDSU (rejected) ...

Get ready and come watch the final improv show of the year with Los Al Live.
The last Los Al Live improv show of the year
Victoria Troncoso, Staff Writer • May 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA --  Los Alamitos High School is hosting a live improv show on campus in room 513, today, May 3, at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m.  The...

Better FAFSA delayed the typically smooth college process by months, forcing colleges to think critically about how to distribute financial aid offers.
How 'Better FAFSA' affected the class of 2028
Nandi Smith, Editor • May 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – Every year, approximately 17 million students in the U.S. apply for the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)....

Teacher spotlight: Mrs. Parsons

Los Al’s Math and Skills Lab teacher, Mrs. Parsons!
Francesca McCall Hokama
Mrs Parson’s during her intro to algebra class

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Some people may know Mrs. Parsons as an Algebra or Skills Lab teacher at Los Alamitos High School, but outside of teaching she enjoys reading, wake surfing, skiing, and hiking. She originally lived in San Jose, CA, and moved to Southern California to attend school at UCLA. She started working at Los Al in 1994, and her favorite part about teaching is the students.

The following interview has been edited and condensed.

Q: What made you pick Algebra as your subject to teach?

A: I used to teach English, and I taught drama for a little bit, but I felt like I needed a change and, in math, I like how there’s always a right answer, and I like helping students learn something that they didn’t think they could learn.

Q: What is your favorite Los Al memory?

A: This actually encompasses four years. I loved teaching at the same school my kids attended. I got to see them and their friends daily, and I was very involved with their activities.

Q: Are you a book or TV person?

A: I have loved to read since I was a little kid, but I enjoy film [and] TV too. I taught drama for eight or nine years, and I really appreciate what it takes to put together a visual story.

Q: What are things you like doing with close friends and family?

A: I love being outdoors. I grew up snow skiing, and now I love to snow ski, water ski wake surf, scuba dive, and ride horses when I can.

Q: Do you have any kids that go to Los Al or plan on having them go? 

A: I have twins (a boy and a girl) who are 23 years old. They went to Los Al and graduated in 2018.

Mrs. Parsons is a beloved staff member at Los Al, and any student is lucky to have her as their teacher. Her passion for math and educating students makes her the great educator she is.