News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

Sandra Day OConnor served in the U.S. Supreme Court for nearly 25 years.
Sandra Day O'Connor: Her life, career and impact
Reese Neiger, Staff Writer • December 7, 2023

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- On Friday, Dec. 1 Sandra Day O'Connor, the first woman to be a part of the U.S. Supreme Court, passed away at age 93. She...

The Dancing With the Stars finale aired, but who took home the Len Goodman Mirrorball?
'Dancing With the Stars' finale
Issy Steinberg, Staff Writer • December 7, 2023

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – There’s a new reigning champion of the hit tv show, "Dancing With the Stars!" The show’s season 32 finale aired on Tuesday,...

Fast food restaurants are convenient and important to many teenagers because of the fast and speedy services. But inflation is causing a rise in prices, and now students have to be wiser about their spendings.
How an increase in fast food prices can affect students
Layla Martinez , Staff Writer • December 7, 2023

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- After an eventful day at school, students typically crave fast food as a reward for enduring the day. Fast food is seen as...

Los Al’s Europe summer trip

The summer trip will journey throughout France and Scotland, learning of the culture and natural beauty
Reese Neiger
A poster of the Europe summer trip giving viewers information.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — This summer, the Los Alamitos community has the chance to take a memorable European trip. From June 9 to June 18, travelers will embark on multiple cities throughout France and Scotland, learning about the countries’ history and culture. The summer trip will be led by Mrs. McCann, one of Los Alamitos High School’s French teachers.

Mrs. McCann has organized her summer trips for over 10 years, always going to France and an additional country in Europe. The trip will explore many sights and excursions, giving travelers opportunities for new experiences, friends, and memories.

“What I want for them is to see the places we talk about [and] for them to hear people talking in the language they’re learning,” Mrs. McCann said.

The summer trip is open to the entire Los Al community, including students, family, and friends. Expectations are for participants to be responsible on the trip, especially at times with no adult supervision. Travelers do not need to be in one of Los Al’s French classes or know the French language to be able to go on the trip; speaking French is optional.

The travel group will visit France and Scotland and have time to explore what each country has to offer for tourists. In France, travelers will visit Normandy and Paris, observing the beauty and learning about the history of the two cities. Travelers’ excursions include panoramic tours of Paris, spending the day at Mt. St. Michel, and visiting Omaha Beach; these are just a few of the many expeditions on the trip. The four days in France will be spent learning about the culture and surroundings of the two cities visited.

In Scotland, in the cities of Aberdeen and Edinburgh, travelers will visit the Highland Cattle Farm, Dunnottar Castle, Cawdor Castle, the Palace of Holyrood, shop locally, and so much more. The five days in Scotland will be spent exploring the area and what the country has to offer and teach to their visitors.

What’s cool is you wake up, [and] you eat a beautiful continental breakfast. We get on the bus, and we take you around to see beautiful things all day. You come home exhausted, you and your roommate crash out, and it’s a repeat of a new set of beautiful places.”

— Mrs. McCann

Payments for the trip are flexible; students can pay different amounts over time before the trip. The down payment is $500, but the total payment can be broken down to give families time before the trip to pay for the trip in full. Airline tickets, hotels, breakfast, dinner, transportation, and activities are all included in the payment. Lunch and souvenirs are not included in the payments and would be out of pocket.

Up to 40 people can come on this Europe trip and see the beauty of France and Scotland. The Los Al community is invited to join in on this amazing journey!