Senior Sunrise at Seal Beach

Los Alamitos High School’s senior class headed to Seal Beach to celebrate the annual tradition of Senior Sunrise
Issy Steinberg
Seniors by the water at Seal Beach waiting for the sunrise.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Seniors woke up early on Thursday, Aug. 28 to attend “Senior Sunrise” which celebrated the start of their final year at Los Al. The students headed to Seal Beach to watch the sunrise with their classmates and enjoy the school tradition.

Los Al ASB hosted the event at 5:45 a.m., allowing plenty of time for the seniors to set up their chairs and blankets on the beach before the 6:23 a.m. sunrise. Some students brought footballs and games to play while waiting, and others decided to get something to eat on Main Street. The fog was heavy in the morning, which worried seniors who were excited for the sunrise since they feared the sun would not be able to be seen in the sky.

“Senior Sunrise is special because it [symbolizes] the start [of] our senior year,” Dana Kim, ASB Senior Class President, said. “It [gives] seniors a chance to create memories and bond with one another so [they can] enjoy their last moments of high school to the fullest.”

The sunrise disappointed many seniors since the morning fog entirely blocked it. Despite the event’s outcome, as people left the beach, they were still excited for their final school year and the senior activities to come later in the year.

Senior Sunrise was a great success as a memorable experience for Los Al’s seniors, allowing the class to come together and celebrate the start of their final year of high school.

“I had a great time at Senior Sunrise, and I’m looking forward to being back here for Senior Sunset,” Johnny Flaim, a senior at Los Al, said.