Drama presents: Charlotte’s Web

Los Alamitos High School drama’s production of Charlotte’s Web

Instagram post from losaldrama

Advertisement for the Los Al High school drama production of Charlotte’s Web

Jonas Corliss, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — As many people are already aware, Los Al drama is putting on a stage play of the classic book, Charlotte’s Web. The specific show that we are covering is the Thursday night showing at 7 p.m. Right when the lights came on, the set pieces are on display. These pieces are specifically created for the show by students within the drama program. The spider web that Sophie Littig, the actress for Charlotte, was able to actually climb on was a wonderful addition.

As a matter of fact, the entire show is put on by students, from the set design, actors, and even the crew. While some might think this is a poor decision, the smoothness and passion of the show is an obvious sign that the students put their all into the production. The way that scenes transitioned so quickly truly shows how much practice is put into these shows.

The actors in the show all put on incredible performances. It was obvious that they all put the time and care into their roles in order to put on the best show they possibly could. The standout of the show was Tanner Linn as Wilbur. The energy and passion he put into the role were easy to see. From his delivery to his physical actions, it is clear that the love he has for acting was in full swing. Sophie Littig’s performance of Charlotte was another standout. Her vocal delivery perfectly encapsulated the caring nature of the character. Nathan Spolter as Avery perfectly encapsulated the annoying older brother role with skill and humor.

The cast of the show bowing and pointing to the crew (Isabella Gasper)

The sets of the show, as already mentioned, are fantastic. The physical set is used and interacted with in a way that really adds to the feeling that the play has a lot of passion put into it. The use of lights, sound effects, and tv screens also adds extra sensations in order to help make it seem that the play is within its own world. Simple additions like bird chirps, rain sounds, and fireworks helped add life to the world of the characters in a realistic and fun way.

The comedy within the show is also a wonderful touch. Throughout the show, there were plenty of moments when the whole theater was full of laughter.

From the people that I talked to, they described the show as “amazing” with “so many [laughs]”. I wholeheartedly agree. The show was a wonderful experience that I am glad to have had the opportunity to see.

Overall, the show was a delight to see and a testament to the passion within the drama program. The remaining show times are Oct. 14 at 7 p.m. and Oct. 15 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. at the PAC. Tickets are $12 and are available at the door.