News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

When the clock struck 9 p.m., students gathered as the prom king and queen were announced: Jacob Moreo and Beth Siersma!
The end of an era: Prom 2024
Olivia Cooks, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- Los Alamitos High School hosted its 2024 junior and senior prom at the Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center...

Its time for the class of 2024 to enter their adulthood and close the chapter to their high school career.  Seniors are finishing up their end of the year strong with all of their favorite activities and spending time with their friends.
Seniors' thoughts on the end of the school year
Layla Martinez, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS CA -- As the school year of 2024 wraps up, seniors are having mixed feelings about whether or not they are looking forward to graduation...

A group of graduates throw their cap in the air, celebrating the completion of an important milestone.
How to be photo-ready for graduation
Nandi Smith, Editor • May 20, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – Graduation for the Los Alamitos High School class of 2024 is fast-approaching. The special event is Tuesday, June 4 at Dignity...

Los Al’s last improv show of the year: Seniors vs. Teachers

Los Al Live ended the year with a show filled with laughter and pure comedy
Layla Martinez
Los Al just had their last improv show featuring seniors and teachers facing off with each of their comedic skits. Everyone in the audience was laughing and didn’t want the show to end. Four teachers against four students were able to make the evening entertaining for Los Al Griffins.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Los Alamitos High School’s last improv show of the year produced a hilarious and eventful spectacle that not only entertained the crowd, but also engaged the audience, making them a part of the show as well. The Los Al Live improv coach, Mr. Barker, led a team of seniors and teachers, keeping up a consistent competition with only a couple minutes to act out skits and captivate the crowd. Teachers Mrs. Grimshaw, Mrs. Franzen, Mrs. Fox, Mr. Brown, Ms. Wels, and Coach Howard participated, against improv team members and seniors Isabella Ruiz, Brooke Singleton, and David Welson. 

During the first half of the show, the teachers and students performed a skit together where they asked the crowd for an event or a scenario and each member of their group took turns acting out their best interpretation. One of my favorite skits was when the audience gave the storyline of a wedding. Mr. Barker guided the performance so that whatever part the participants were acting out, they had to either fast forward or reverse their skit.

The teacher behind the improv team

Mr. Barker is a math teacher at Los Al and Los Al Live’s improv coach. Mr. Barker knows how to lay out a fun and exciting show for Griffins and produce skits that keep the audience on the edge of their seats. He also was involved in every aspect of the show and helped coordinate the students and teachers by giving them instructions and timing during their acts. 

Student opinions

“I love going to the improv shows. I was really excited to go to this one because it’s seniors vs. teachers. Seeing my sister perform was really entertaining too,” said Bria Singleton, a senior at Los Al. 

Throughout the show, there were moments when teachers like Mrs. Grimshaw and Coach Howard used Gen Z slang terms like “skibbidi” and “sigma” that have spread across TikTok and Instagram. These jokes captivated the younger audience members and caused them to laugh uncontrollably. One of the senior performers, Isabella Ruiz, was able to have audience members laughing the whole time with her facial expressions and comical commentary. 

“Improv shows always have me laughing, and I think Mr. Barker is a really good teacher,” said Ellis Duff, another senior. 

Improv students put in the time and effort to make the Griffin community laugh, and with each show, they get better and more comedic. Los Al Live improv shows never fail to place a smile on my face. The students are clearly passionate about their performances, and it shows in their work.