Senior girls wave from the back of their white Jeep parade vehicle, decorated with a custom graduation sign and balloons.
Along for the ride: Grads say goodbye with annual Senior Parade
Ella Suos and Katie ArnoultJune 4, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – On June 1, 2024, Los Al seniors and their families participated in the iconic drive through Rossmoor. The annual event marked...

This summer is the time to sit back and relax with these summer must-watches.
Five movies to relax with this summer!
Jaya Eapen and Jasmine LeeJune 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- As summer draws near, it can be hard to get in the vibe of the season; however, these five movies will make the transition...

It’s important to read [during the summer] because it gets you off screens and keeps your mind thinking about turning words into images. It helps with your imagination and depth of thinking, especially when learning concepts, said Henry Miller, a freshman.
Summer escapes: Dive into these summer page-turners
Kalea Davies, Staff Writer • June 3, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- Summer is quickly approaching, Griffins! This means that during summer there will be times when we are bored and looking...

Seniors’ thoughts on the end of the school year

Here’s what senior Griffins have to say about finishing high school
+Its+time+for+the+class+of+2024+to+enter+their+adulthood+and+close+the+chapter+to+their+high+school+career.++Seniors+are+finishing+up+their+end+of+the+year+strong+with+all+of+their+favorite+activities+and+spending+time+with+their+friends.
Courtesy of Catherine Stom
It’s time for the class of 2024 to enter their adulthood and close the chapter to their high school career. Seniors are finishing up their end of the year strong with all of their favorite activities and spending time with their friends.

LOS ALAMITOS CA — As the school year of 2024 wraps up, seniors are having mixed feelings about whether or not they are looking forward to graduation or fearing the unknown. Life after high school can be an exciting thought that encourages students to finish the school year strong, but others may feel concerned about graduating and view it as a reality check that makes them miss their youth. Here’s how some seniors at Los Alamitos High School are feeling.

Bella Iovine Vasquez

“I’m excited to be done with high school, but I’m nervous to be an adult,” Iovine Vasquez said. “I feel like I’m going to have to leave the comfortability of high school, but I’m also excited to start my life outside of high school.” 

Numerous Griffins have stated their concerns about entering adulthood. In high school, students typically know the majority of other students in their classes because they have been around them for four years, some since elementary school. Leaving high school and having to expand your social background may be scary, but just as Vasquez says, it can be exciting to start a new chapter of your life.  

Carter Martinez

“I’m looking forward to the end of high school because of all of the amazing opportunities that the world will not only have for me but for everyone who puts their heart and mind to what they love,” Martinez said. “I’m also going to meet more wonderful people and experience life firsthand.” 

This perspective on starting a new phase of life is an optimistic one that could set most seniors up for success. Many opportunities are open for seniors after graduation; some seniors may start colleges, trade schools, new jobs, and internships. In general, new friendships and relationships will form as people mature after high school. 

Karla Salas 

“I’m most looking forward to meeting new people and restarting in a new environment, but I’m least excited about stepping out of my comfort zone in order to meet new and different faces,” Salas said. 

The change in environment can be beneficial for people to learn better because it will help promote growth, and they won’t be stuck in a constant routine exactly in the same area. While stepping out of your comfort zone can be scary, it helps increase confidence which then reflects out to your peers. 

In my opinion, as a fellow Los Al senior, I am thrilled to be approaching the end of my high school career. At the same time, I have been emotional knowing that this will be the end of a chapter. High school has had its ups and downs for all students, but at the end of the day, memories were created. In just a couple of weeks, it will be time for high school seniors to say farewell and start new journeys as they approach adulthood.