News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

When the clock struck 9 p.m., students gathered as the prom king and queen were announced: Jacob Moreo and Beth Siersma!
The end of an era: Prom 2024
Olivia Cooks, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- Los Alamitos High School hosted its 2024 junior and senior prom at the Anaheim Regional Transportation Intermodal Center...

Its time for the class of 2024 to enter their adulthood and close the chapter to their high school career.  Seniors are finishing up their end of the year strong with all of their favorite activities and spending time with their friends.
Seniors' thoughts on the end of the school year
Layla Martinez, Staff Writer • May 21, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS CA -- As the school year of 2024 wraps up, seniors are having mixed feelings about whether or not they are looking forward to graduation...

A group of graduates throw their cap in the air, celebrating the completion of an important milestone.
How to be photo-ready for graduation
Nandi Smith, Editor • May 20, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – Graduation for the Los Alamitos High School class of 2024 is fast-approaching. The special event is Tuesday, June 4 at Dignity...

Surf League Finals was a heated meet for Los Al’s track athletes

From dropping the baton to running new personal records, one question is yet to be determined for Los Al’s track stars: Who is going to the state meet?
Gavin+Ordinario+pushing+it+in+the+800+meter+run+after+winning+the+1600+meter+run+a+couple+hours+before.+
Zuhay Anaya
Gavin Ordinario pushing it in the 800 meter run after winning the 1600 meter run a couple hours before.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – On April 26, 2024, the track became a thriller show as Los Alamitos High School’s athletes lost themselves on the track and scored high for almost every event. Several qualifiers will be attending CIF Prelims at Trabuco Hills High School this coming Saturday.

Although the running events began at 5 p.m., field events were already scoring. The schedule of events can be found on the Los Alamitos Track and Field website. Corona del Mar, Edison, and Fountain Valley High Schools also showed up to race.

“I was hurt basically all season, so trying to overcome that while being on varsity was tough. I didn’t get to compete except twice in the season, and it was frustrating,” said Bella Vance, a jumper for Los Al varsity high jump.

Before each jumper sprinted to the pit, a group of people would join in on a clapping rhythm, heightening their excitement as they watched the athlete make an impossible reach in the air.

Caris Honma, a Los Al freshman running for frosh/soph, won the 1600 meter run. For a while she was following another runner, but around the third lap she sped up and widened the gap on the fourth lap, laughing as she ran past her cheering teammates on the last 200 meters. Honma gained six points with a 5:50 mile pace.

“Honestly, before my race my body enters survival mode. I subconsciously conserve energy and get this special focus. Once racing, my body just knows what to do… it’s a real free feeling,” said Trista Candiotty, a Los Al varsity distance runner.

Coach Howard and Coach Reggie, the new sprint coach, were respectively upset after watching two of their greatest sprinters drop the baton in the boys varsity 4×100 relay.

“I thought it was a good race with just a small mistake at the wrong time,” said Jacob Montez, a thrower on Los Al varsity discus and shot put.

“You don’t play track and field. You RUN IT,” said Robert Griffin III, an analyst for ESPN at the 2022 NCAA outdoor track and field championships, on Twitter. “That’s why track and field is the ONLY REAL SPORT. Everything else is just a game.”

“Everyone [in throws] is enjoyable because [they are] always having fun and just trying their best as a team,” Montez said.

View Comments (1)
$50
$1000