A group of graduates throw their cap in the air, celebrating the completion of an important milestone.
How to be photo-ready for graduation
Nandi Smith, Editor • May 20, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – Graduation for the Los Alamitos High School class of 2024 is fast-approaching. The special event is Tuesday, June 4 at Dignity...

School programs, like Griffin Games, invests thousands of dollars to different programs despite lack of student participation.
Is lack of interest killing connection programs?
Jasmine Lee, Staff Writer • May 20, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- When walking through the Los Alamitos High School campus, which provides education for thousands of high school students,...

The truth is that women can be strong, feminine, passionate, and compassionate. Women should be viewed the same whether they like pink or not. Colors do not determine you. 
Pink's poison: The negative impacts of one color in society
Kalea Davies, Staff Writer • May 17, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Purple paint covers my childhood bedroom, all black outfits invade my childhood closet with no pink in sight. I became a...

Surf League Finals was a heated meet for Los Al’s track athletes

From dropping the baton to running new personal records, one question is yet to be determined for Los Al’s track stars: Who is going to the state meet?
Gavin+Ordinario+pushing+it+in+the+800+meter+run+after+winning+the+1600+meter+run+a+couple+hours+before.+
Zuhay Anaya
Gavin Ordinario pushing it in the 800 meter run after winning the 1600 meter run a couple hours before.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – On April 26, 2024, the track became a thriller show as Los Alamitos High School’s athletes lost themselves on the track and scored high for almost every event. Several qualifiers will be attending CIF Prelims at Trabuco Hills High School this coming Saturday.

Although the running events began at 5 p.m., field events were already scoring. The schedule of events can be found on the Los Alamitos Track and Field website. Corona del Mar, Edison, and Fountain Valley High Schools also showed up to race.

“I was hurt basically all season, so trying to overcome that while being on varsity was tough. I didn’t get to compete except twice in the season, and it was frustrating,” said Bella Vance, a jumper for Los Al varsity high jump.

Before each jumper sprinted to the pit, a group of people would join in on a clapping rhythm, heightening their excitement as they watched the athlete make an impossible reach in the air.

Caris Honma, a Los Al freshman running for frosh/soph, won the 1600 meter run. For a while she was following another runner, but around the third lap she sped up and widened the gap on the fourth lap, laughing as she ran past her cheering teammates on the last 200 meters. Honma gained six points with a 5:50 mile pace.

“Honestly, before my race my body enters survival mode. I subconsciously conserve energy and get this special focus. Once racing, my body just knows what to do… it’s a real free feeling,” said Trista Candiotty, a Los Al varsity distance runner.

Coach Howard and Coach Reggie, the new sprint coach, were respectively upset after watching two of their greatest sprinters drop the baton in the boys varsity 4×100 relay.

“I thought it was a good race with just a small mistake at the wrong time,” said Jacob Montez, a thrower on Los Al varsity discus and shot put.

“You don’t play track and field. You RUN IT,” said Robert Griffin III, an analyst for ESPN at the 2022 NCAA outdoor track and field championships, on Twitter. “That’s why track and field is the ONLY REAL SPORT. Everything else is just a game.”

“Everyone [in throws] is enjoyable because [they are] always having fun and just trying their best as a team,” Montez said.

$50
$1000