With prom coming up, its finally time for promposal season, so lets make it perfect!
Promposal do's and don'ts
Issy Steinberg, Editor • May 2, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- With prom just around the corner, it's time for the balloons, flower trails, and homemade signs. You’ll see tons of “they...

The middle schoolers pose with the older color guard members as they get ready for their first performance.
Los Al color guard and drumline's 2024 spring showcase
Jaya Eapen, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- After finishing their successful spring seasons, Los Al's color guard and drumline put on a stunning showcase last Sunday,...

Gavin Ordinario pushing it in the 800 meter run after winning the 1600 meter run a couple hours before.
Surf League Finals was a heated meet for Los Al's track athletes
Ella Suos, Staff Writer • April 30, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – On April 26, 2024, the track became a thriller show as Los Alamitos High School’s athletes lost themselves on the track...

Seasonal depression

Investigating the misunderstood winter blues
Ella Suos
A dainty mug selling at Devin’s Flower District with “I will survive” written across as a staple winter affirmation.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Despite Southern California’s seemingly perpetual blue skies and sunny weather, students at Los Alamitos High School can still experience seasonal depression. In a time of isolation, fatigue, and utterly unimportant distractions, teenagers tend to discover the burdening sorrow of winter. Whether it results from a decline in sunlight or the hours of studying for finals, the term “seasonal affective disorder” mystifies many, and it can sneak up on students during the holidays. 

It might even be that seasonal depression has absolutely nothing to do with the weather. In the article “Fighting the Winter Blues” written by The Clarion Truth Matters newspaper, Assistant Professor of Psychology Rachel Anderson asserts that psychological changes due to hibernation cause an unrelenting cycle of sadness, making it seem like a winter crisis. The real truth of the matter lies in people’s lifestyle choices; this can range from stocking up on unnecessary foods to absurd avoidance of friends and family. 

“I believe that in the winter, people are more susceptible to depression because of added stress from holidays, the weather change, such as colder and darker nights at earlier times, and trying to ‘keep up with the Joneses.’ People have pressures of fitting in and making sure they feel connected, and it’s hard,” said Los Al math teacher Mrs. TiraTira.

Nevertheless, Los Al is reminded of seasonal depression in every corner and direction. Some clubs and organizations are making an effort to reach out to the afflicted student populace. A couple of days ago, representatives from OC Health set up their booth in front of the Media Center with the Emerging Leaders Club, hoping to inspire wellness during finals season by giving out wristbands, goodies, and key chains. While they aimed to promote mental health awareness, they failed to highlight the behaviors around mental health taught to students through social media. 

The resurgence of green juice, hot Pilates, and bubble baths on Pinterest and Instagram are only some of the products associated with the “wellness aesthetic.” Most kids who’ve seen the trend might notice that “wellness” is becoming increasingly performative. The motivation to participate in preppy morning routines and productivity is slowly turning into stress; this can be misleading and detrimental to the real meaning of fighting the winter blues, which borders on the lines of silence and gentleness.

“For me, my form of self-care is ending the night with a show I’m into and reading a book,” said Alia Turcios, a Los Al senior.

“[Seasonal depression] is not real,” said Alex Paulos, a freshman. Paulos argued that depression was a choice and that staying mentally tough would help us realize that. Because the disorder is so well known throughout the world, famous businesses like Anthropologie are making an effort to sell sun lamps and affirmative poetry, which could usually be found in their homey aisles.

Overall, opinions vary throughout Los Al due to past experiences and differing schedules. Teachers tend to agree with the phenomenon, while students are more likely to be in denial or simply disagree. 

$50
$1000