Are backpacks going out of style?

The debate about which is better between tote bags and backpacks for Los Al

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Students all over campus have different types of backpacks and tote bags. Specifically, Los Al has seen a rise of tote bags replacing backpacks. Which is better?

Tote bags can be more affordable than regular basic backpacks, which can have a starting price of around $40-$50. On the contrary, you can get a basic tote bag starting at around $5. While backpacks get heavy, they can also cause back pain and are easily overstuffed. On the other hand, tote bags are more comfortable to carry on your shoulders, but when filled, can additionally start to give your shoulder pain. Tote bags add a more stylish statement, rather than backpacks. 

“I think tote bags are so cute for any time!” said Erica Holmes, a freshman.

While tote bags can be useful by being durable and eco-friendly, backpacks are useful in their ways because they can keep your hands free while you walk around campus and they can keep your belongings safe too. Backpacks also have more storage for textbooks, binders, notebooks, etc. While sometimes backpacks can hurt your back, they can help with posture according to “The Back Pack World.”

“For school, I think backpacks are more useful but, outside of school, I think there are really cute [tote] bags to take to the beach, etc,” said Kaitlyn Castro, freshman.

Tote bags are easy efficient bags to use for smaller things, like going to the beach and not wanting to bring a big bag to pack sunscreen and a towel.

While they are both useful and have good qualities, tote bags give a stylish statement and are eco-friendly, but backpacks are a better decision for on-campus. Backpacks are a better option because all students need to be able to have a bag that has plenty of room, reliable, and keeps their belongings safe.