News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The four Los Al students pose under a tree before heading off to NYC.
Los Al drama students perform at Lincoln Center this week
Sydney Forsyte, Section Editor • February 16, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- Four students from the Los Alamitos High School - Leo Athy, Eva Parhami, Brooke Singleton, and Ali Valenzuela - left today,...

Los Als frosh softball team in the middle of playing their game.
Girls Frosh softball team dominates their first game
Reese Neiger, Staff Writer • February 16, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- On Tuesday, Feb. 13, Los Al's Girls Frosh softball team played their first game of the season. The team played on the Los...

Los Al sophomore Stewart McCaleb will be in Miami Feb. 17-24 competing in the Olympic Team Trials for sailing. It’s more about the experience than actually trying to win,” McCaleb said.
Los Al sophomore to compete in Olympic Trials for sailing
Bella Kim, Editor-in-Chief • February 16, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- Under a clear, blue sky on open, choppy water, Stewart McCaleb picks up speed, expertly handling the lines on his Laser with...

Two ‘Gilmore Girls’ fans spill their popular and unpopular opinions

Shortly after “Gilmore Girls” debut date of 23 years from the beginning of October, two Griffin Gazette writers share their opinions regarding the plot and characters
Jasmine Lee
“Gilmore Girls” introduction surrounded by books and lamp.

WARNING: This article contains spoilers for the 2000 TV show “Gilmore Girls.”

LOS ALAMITOS, CA —  Autumn has entered the 2023 year and is clearly represented on campus by the changing leaves, pumpkin spice everything, and cozy sweater weather. The popular American TV show released in 2000, “Gilmore Girls,” perfectly encapsulates the comforting feeling of fall. After watching all seven seasons, we have collected responses and opinions from ourselves and other Los Alamitos High School students.

1. Who was better: Dean, Jess, Logan, or Tristan?

We believe that Jess is, altogether, the better fit for Rory rather than Dean and Logan because he constantly challenges her to be her best self and remains consistent in his support for her dreams.

In the storyline, he remains a constant encouragement for her dreams of attending Yale. Unlike Dean, who is a selfish, sensitive, and jealous partner for Rory and brings out the worst in both of them, Jess is the complete opposite and shares similar interests along with her constant support.

Although similar to Jess in his efforts to push Rory to be her best, Logan also fails as a boyfriend to Rory because he repeatedly makes Rory doubt herself while also cheating on her while they are supposedly “on a break.”

A popular but fleeting choice is Tristan Dugray, and he remains popular with the audience due to his inevitable charm and interest. However, he leaves quickly in the middle of the season with lots of impending development to his character. 

2. Was Rory really the problem?

While Rory has many positive qualities, she also exhibits numerous toxic ones, such as being privileged, spoiled, and ungrateful. She constantly remains ungrateful, wanting to drop out of her private high school, Chilton, and eventually out of Yale. Her mom, Lorelai, constantly makes sacrifices and loans with her estranged parents for her tuition, which is not something Rory takes seriously.

This is especially clear when she instantly drops out of Yale due to a journalist’s discouraging comments. Rory’s entitlement is also evident regarding her difficulty to comprehend her extreme privilege regarding her education and extravagant financial outcome. Regarding the incident with Logan in which they steal a yacht, she expects a lack of repercussions.

3. Who was better: Luke, Christopher, or Max?

The controversial question regarding Lorelai’s relationships is whether she is better with Luke, Christopher, or Max, her main boyfriends throughout the show. While Christopher is her high school sweetheart and ultimately her ex-husband, he is a constant bad influence and harmful person in Lorelai’s life. He is extremely inconsistent in Lorelai’s life as well as being a terrible and ignorant father to Rory.

Max, on the other hand, presents a steady relationship with Lorelai and never questions his feelings for her as Christopher often did. However, he isn’t the right fit for Lorelai because Luke had a consistent relationship with Lorelai. 

Although complete opposites in terms of personality, Luke’s calm and ironic personality matches perfectly with the bright and spunky personality of Lorelai. Unlike her previous relationships, Luke was always there for her during her trials and errors. For example on Season 1 Episode 10, Luke drives to the hospital instantly to comfort and provide support for Lrelai when her dad was sick. Luke was also a father figure to Rory due to her father’s constant lack of appearances, which was clearly shown through their witty relationship.

4. Who was the best character?

According to a survey administered by Griffin Gazette staff to Los Al students, Kirk is a popular favorite with 63% of participants, along with Sookie and Lorelai being top contenders. Kirk remains one of the show’s most beloved characters because of his eccentric charm and humor. Through his odd jobs around Stars Hollow, he wins the hearts of the town as well as the audience viewing him. 

5. Why do people love “Gilmore Girls”?

The allure of “Gilmore Girls,” has sustained time and attracted new generations’ interest. After surveying people around campus, we discovered that many are charmed by the small town vibe of Stars Hollow and the comforting aspects the show brings. Many also love this uplifting show because of its wonderful characters and hilarious commentary,

As November continues, we hope that the general public continues to watch “Gilmore Girls” to feel the autumn spirit. 

View Comments (2)
$50
$1000