News From the Students, For the Students

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

The Griffin Gazette

Top 10 Halloween movies to watch this season

From a variety of horror to comedy Halloween movies, the diverse list is made up of staple movies that are made up of plenty of spooky and creepy elements
Jasmine Lee
Whether it is an old classic or a new blockbuster, Halloween movies are a great way to get into the spooky spirit of the holiday.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Halloween, Oct. 31, is best characterized by the staple traditions of trick-or-treating for delicious candy, decorating houses with garlands and figures of witches and pumpkins, and watching cinematic pictures of iconic moments in film history. 

Halloween movies can reach an audience of all ages and manage to take on the spirit of the spooky holiday with a combination of terror and nostalgia. From thrilling slasher films that can raise the hair on your arms in anticipation to the familiar warmth of an eccentric and entertaining comedy, Halloween movies can provide the perfect way to truly feel the spooky spirit.

1. Hocus Pocus” (1993) – PG

“Hocus Pocus,” a Disney-produced film, is centered around three witches who were recently set free and plan to ravage a small town in search of immortality. The creative costuming of the witches along with a camp-esque concept and an animated performance from the actors has garnered the movie critical acclaim and a fandom status. The movie remains a staple in Halloween films, as the appeal ranges from all ages and contains memorable performances along with an iconic soundtrack of songs. 

2. “The Nightmare Before Christmas” (1993) – PG

The Tim Burton animated fantasy film “The Nightmare Before Christmas” has solidified itself as an iconic Burton sensation. The movie straddles the balance between Halloween and Christmas, following the mischievous adventures of Jack Skellington as he travels between Halloween Land and Christmas Town. The unique stop-motion animation of the movie along with the usage of whimsical decorations and subplots has been a hit concerning viewers’ interest. The film is best recognized for the visual and musical aspects as the characters take on extraordinary detail that can only be achieved through extreme precision.

“I really love the relationship between [Jack Skellington] and [Sally], because it adds a lot of depth to the story,” said Reese Poe, a Los Al sophomore.

3. “Halloween” (1978) – R

“Halloween,” the 1978 independent horror film best known for generating the popularity of slasher horror movies, follows the struggle to survive between a murderer and a young babysitter who fights for her life. “Halloween” was one of the best-known horror films of the 1970’s and contains the exciting usage of suspense while having memorable scenes and characters, like the murderer, Michael Myers. Often considered to be a classic Halloween staple, the movie has maintained constant relevance and fame for more than 40 years since its release. 

“Watching silent, masked killer Michael Myers slash his victims to shreds while they’re dressed in costumes and trick-or-treating feels extra creepy on Halloween itself,” says Variety.

4. “The Addams Family” (1991) – PG

Although not necessarily centered around Halloween or Halloween traditions, the creepy and quirky family-friendly nature is appropriately relevant. The movie tells the story of the odd Addams family and their own relationships with the imposter Fester. The unusual dynamic of the family has captured viewers’ attention due to their odd personalities while maintaining a lighthearted and interesting theme. The family has been featured in several movies following their adventures and have successfully asserted their unique and well-loved presence by audiences. 

5. “IT” (2017) – R

The horror movie adaptation of the original novel by Stephen King describes the story of a group of young children being terrorized by a mysterious creature that takes the form of a clown called Pennywise. Upon its release, “IT” created an attachment to the characters, making viewers understand and care for the children being terrorized by Pennywise. The impressive usage of suspense and nostalgic memories of the 80’s credits “IT” as one of the top-grossing movies of 2017, grossing over $701 million worldwide. 

6. “Halloweentown” (1998) – PG

“Halloweentown” is a Disney Channel Original Movie about a young witch and the mayor’s grandson teaming up to defeat an evil witch from taking over the town. This 90’s film is beloved among both young and old, as the movie offers a fantasy wonderland overtaken by magic and witches. The family-friendly nature of the film is appropriate and entertaining for all ages, and the characters display the consistent message of having fun during Halloween and creating memorable moments throughout the scenes. 

7. “Scream” (1996) – R

“Scream” tells the story of the mass murderings of Ghostface as he terrorizes and tortures a group of teen friends. “Scream” has managed to spawn several sequels along with maintaining relevance in pop culture. The dynamic of an impressive cast of actors was well paired with the constant themes of horror, suspense, and humor. The constant suspense at the end of each “Scream” movie of the identity of the killer has resulted in instant success for all the movies in the franchise.

8.”The Haunted Mansion” (2003) – PG

“The Haunted Mansion” shares the story of a family who must work together to break the curse imposed on their vacation home. An underrated movie that manages to combine the elements of horror and comedy features star actors Eddie Murphy and Terence Stamp. The unique story line surrounding mystery and adventure creates an appealing effect that captures the audience’s attention.

9. “The Shining” (1980) – R

“The Shining,” renowned to be one of the greatest horror movies of all time, tells the stories of a father, mother, and son as they struggle to survive a hotel’s paranormal activity. The movie’s influence has extended beyond the horror genre; its psychological thriller theme has long appealed to audiences due to its unique take on mental illness and trauma. By following the perception of the main character’s struggles against each other, the audience is captivated with iconic quotes such as “Here’s Johnny!” and scenes like the particularly creepy one with two identical twins.

10. “Coraline” (2009) – PG

“Coraline,” a stop-motion animated horror movie, tells the experience of a young girl named Coraline and her crossing over to a seemingly normal universe, which turns out to be much more different than she expected. “Coraline” remains a large part of audiencess first exposure to horror movies through a more juvenile-appropriate form. The movie holds a heavy message for its young audiences as it teaches the importance of family. 

Halloween movies can unite people of any age and background; the Griffin Gazette hopes this list helps you delve into the spirit of the nostalgic and creepy!

View Comments (3)
$50
$1000