OC Student Sections has grown to become a leading high school student section organization, not only covering student sections through friendly competition and challenges but furthermore, providing opportunities for students to engage with their communities and learn essential business skills, says @ocstudentsections on Instagram.
Los Al competed in the OC Student Section of the Year Tournament
Kalea Davies, Staff Writer • May 10, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — Congratulations, Los Alamitos High School Locos! We were chosen to compete in the Student Section of the Year Tournament...

Dont just get your mom another coffee mug, gift card, or nothing at all! Make this years Mothers Day the best one ever with a little help from this gift guide.
Griffin Gazette’s ultimate gift guide for Mother’s Day
Katie Arnoult, Editor • May 9, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – You need a gift for Mother’s Day, and pronto! But what do you get? A mug that says “#1 Mom”? No way! (You already...

Mrs. Castiglione, the drama teacher for Los Alamitos High School, receiving her award.
Los Alamitos School District presents teachers with 'Teacher of the Year Award'
Francesca McCall Hokama, Staff Writer • May 9, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA -- This year, the Los Alamitos Unified District awarded a teacher from each school with the Teacher of the Year award. Teachers...

Los Al Live Comedy is the best remedy!

The first improv show of the year is this Thursday
@losalimprov via Instagram
Be sure to check out the improv show this Thursday!

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – This Thursday, Oct. 5, the drama students of the Los Al Live Comedy team are holding students vs. teachers improv shows at 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Tickets will cost $10 at the door and $8 pre-sale. Including both teachers, students, and audience participation, the improv shows provide a vast amount of entertainment for everyone.

Improv shows occur every few months on Friday nights. However, due to the Homecoming game this Friday, the show this week was moved to Thursday, Oct. 5. Shows tend to alternate between student shows and students vs. teachers shows. The rest of the improv shows are scheduled for Nov. 3, Feb. 2, April 12, and May 3, according to Thomas Curd, a long-time member of the Los Al Live team and one of the team captains in this Thursday’s show.

“Los Al Live comedy is a lot of fun, and it’s playing a bunch of improv games for an audience,” said Curd over an email. “People who aren’t going to the shows, I think, are missing out, and there isn’t anything better to be doing on a Thursday night, or a Friday night.”

The improv show is, well, completely improvised. The scenes are based on the audience suggestions given to the teams. This allows the audience to feel included and keeps them entertained, and it also allows the actors to use their imagination to create entertaining scenes. 

“The audience gives the suggestions, and the scenes are based on their suggestions. It is all made up on the spot, and we never know what will happen in any given show,” said Mr. Barker, the advisor of the Los Al Live team.

Laughter and entertainment are important, which is made obvious at Los Al’s improv shows. A lot of students do not particularly enjoy going to school, so having events like  these is a great way for students to enjoy being on campus, even if it is just for a night. 

The format of the live shows stays consistent for every show. There are two teams consisting of teachers and students, each having a student as the team captain. The captains for the upcoming show are Curd and Isabella Ruiz. 

The winning team is decided by the judge, Mr. Barker, and the audience. No matter who wins or loses, in the end, having fun and putting on a good show is all that matters, which is exactly what each team strives to do every time they perform.

The teacher participants the audience can expect to see at the 4 p.m. show are Mrs. Fox, Mr. Brown, Mrs. Castiglione, and Mrs. Wells. The 7 p.m. teachers are Mrs. Castiglione, Mr. Howard, Mrs. Franzen, and Mrs. Harvey.

“[Students] should absolutely go to the shows,” said Mrs. Franzen. “It’s super fun, laugh-out-loud comedy all done in front of [the audience]. It’s not scripted; it’s completely live.”

Be sure to check out the improv show this Thursday, Oct. 5, for the laughs, the drama, and most importantly, the entertainment!