‘It’s important to know my kids:’ Mrs. Parsons is 2023 Teacher of the Year

After serving LAUSD for nearly 30 years, Mrs. Parsons receives Teacher of the Year

Mrs. Parsons receives a bouquet of flowers after being awarded 2023 Teacher of the Year. (Los Al Newsletter)

Los Alamitos High School

Alicia Tan, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – Academics, athletics, activities, and the arts. Those are the four A’s that Los Alamitos High School prides itself on. However, the students can’t get there alone. Teachers play an integral role in helping their students achieve in all four areas. Every year, Los Al honors one teacher for their exemplary work in teaching and serving their students as well as their school’s community. The 2023 Teacher of the Year is Los Al’s own Mrs. Parsons.

Mrs. Parsons’ teaching career began while she was attending University of California Los Angeles when she was a volunteer intern for a program that helped teach health and sex-ed to middle school students in areas with high teen pregnancy rates. After graduating, she was hired to run the program, but she soon realized she preferred working one-on-one with students rather than running administrative duties. Because of this, she decided to get a English credential since she got an English degree from UCLA.

Mrs. Parsons started as an English teacher. She taught an English and World History core a few years into her career. However, soon she decided to take over as Los Al’s drama teacher, as the previous instructor had just left. Since she had just given birth to twins, teaching drama was a nice change of pace for her in comparison to the grueling essay grading she had to complete as an English and World History teacher. As her kids got older, she decided to go back to English, but eventually she sought another change, so she got her math credential. Currently she teaches Algebra I, Skills Lab, and make-up classes for math. Next year will mark her 30th year teaching at Los Al.

Although the curriculum she teaches has undergone dynamic changes over the years, one thing remains: Mrs. Parsons loves working with students and watching them grow.

One thing that’s really important to me is the relationships with the kids… No matter what the subject matter is for me, it’s important to try to know my kids.

— Mrs. Parsons

“Mrs. Parsons is really genuine,” said freshman Bella Nunez, one of Mrs. Parsons’ Algebra I students. “She’s someone who asks if you need help even if you’re afraid to ask. She goes out of her way to make sure that you know how to do something.”

“She’s a kind teacher who thoroughly engages in discussions and provides meaningful insight to students’ work,” said senior Khushal Shukla, one of Mrs. Parsons’ former students.

In addition to making a consistent effort to connect with her students on a personal level, she also works with her fellow staff to develop coursework that will benefit her students in the best way possible.

“Within a day, I swear, it was just so obvious how much she cares about students,” Mrs. San Juan, another Algebra I teacher, said. “She will do anything or make any time that is needed so that the kids who come to her or are in her classroom have the best opportunities.”

Mrs. Parsons has made it clear throughout her years of teaching that she is more than deserving of the title of Teacher of the Year. She loves her job, and she loves her students; it’s obvious in every action she takes in order to help her students succeed.

“I think what makes me happy to be a teacher is seeing students succeed,” Mrs. Parsons said. “When you see the improvement and the pride they take in their success, I love those moments.”

Congratulations to Mrs. Parsons, Los Al’s 2023 Teacher of the Year!