LAHS experiences a traditional Japanese Lunar New Year celebration

CSULB Taiko club guest performs at Los Al with traditional Japanese drums in celebration of Lunar New Year.

Drums

Rommel Salazar

The view of the show from the heights of the STEM building staircase was five stars.

Katie Arnoult, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA– California State University of Long Beach’s Taiko club was invited to perform at Los Alamitos High School during lunch on Wednesday, Jan. 25. in celebration of the Lunar New Year, which is celebrated throughout many Asian cultures. The Taiko club performed with traditional Japanese drums ranging in size to create a mesmerizing and thundering collection of sounds and rhythms.

Drums
The sound of beating drums began to echo across the campus as the performance began.
Drums
The performers worked in perfect sync to create an exciting rhythm of low and high-pitched sounds from the drums.
Drums
Drums
Students gathered around on the ground to watch the performance, while others watched from the staircase of the STEM building, where they could have a great view of the show.
Drums
At the end of the performance, the drummers lined up and bowed in front of the audience and a camera that had been recording their performance. The audience clapped in awe and appreciation.