Tips for driving in the rain

Enjoy these helpful tips and tricks for safely driving in the rain.

Sydney Forsyte

The view out of the front view window of a car on a rainy day.

Sydney Forsyte, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — California has been experiencing a great deal of rain and flooding these past few weeks, and according to the Weather Channel, Los Alamitos is expecting even more. Since many students at Los Alamitos High School will have to drive in this weather, here are some tips and tricks to do so safely.

1. Make sure the car is clean and in good condition.

Having a clean car is crucial so that drivers are able to see clearly out of all windows. According to the website Driving Tests, drivers should make an examination of their headlights, windshield wipers, and taillights before driving to maximize their visibility of other cars.

2. Avoid heavy braking.

The slick layers of water on the road may cause the car to skid if the brake is applied too abruptly. Instead, drivers should gradually decrease the acceleration, then brake in preparation for stops.

3. Make use of the headlights, tail lights, and windshield wipers.

Some drivers may not turn on their windshield wipers in light rain, yet even the lightest rain can impair vision. According to the Department of Motor Vehicles’ California Driver Handbook, it is required to use headlights and taillights if rain requires the use of windshield wipers.  Drivers should use low beam lights to avoid blinding other drivers.

4. Drivers should use caution when driving in new areas and recognize their limits.

Drivers should do their best to avoid flooded areas and drive slowly through new terrain to avoid potholes and other hazards. If drivers feel uncomfortable on the road in this weather currently or have had issues previously, they should try to wait until the weather improves.

5. Don’t use cruise control on wet roads.

If a driver hydroplanes and regains traction, cruise control can cause drivers to lose control again due to the automatic acceleration.

6. Don’t drive through standing water.

Drivers can lose control of their vehicle in only three inches of water, so they should exercise caution. If water covers the markings on a road, it is not safe to drive in.

7. Leave distance between cars.

Drivers should leave at least five seconds of distance between cars.

It is incredibly important to drive carefully to avoid any accidents, so please be careful driving out there. Hopefully, following this advice will help  drivers prevent unfortunate accidents.