The 2022 LAHS Winter Art Show

The annual Los Alamitos High School Winter Art Show will be held Dec. 8 from 6-8 p.m. and Dec. 9 during lunch between the 600 and 700 buildings.

Jason

All levels of Ms. Ferrell’s 3-D design classes worked on a fish metalwork project and were encouraged to submit their pieces for display.

Jason Khan, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — The Winter Art Show is taking place this week. The display will be hosted to appreciate student pieces and perspectives from all types of artistic disciplines.

According to Ms. Ferrell, the Fine Arts Department Chair, the display usually receives upwards of 200 submissions. She stated that the program features a mix of two-dimensional pieces and three-dimensional artwork. The two-dimensional features include drawings, paintings, photography, and digital art. Three-dimensional features include pieces like ceramics and metalworks.

Though other shows are exclusively produced by art classes and curated by individual teachers, this exhibition is unique because the organizers choose to display every work of art put up for consideration.

“Since it’s unjuried…there’s a chance for any student, regardless of skill level, to show their work,” commented Ms. Ferrell.

There is no given theme for the show; students are allowed to express themselves in virtually any way they see fit. Unfinished work may be accepted.

To enter the display, one must give their artwork to one of the many visual arts teachers at the high school. All the teachers collaborate to display and curate the collection. Some works are put on pinboards as well as hung or placed on pedestals; others may be displayed through a digital projection.

The Winter Art Show has been a part of school tradition for the past six years; it runs in tandem with and complements the annual holiday season choir and band performances. The winter showcase originated from Ms. Maher, the drawing and painting teacher, and her art club. The other art teachers at the high school joined in the showcase to produce it from the entire department.

Ms. Ferrell believes that the show will run smoothly, weather permitting; she has highly encouraged her students to submit artwork. She appreciates the opportunity to encourage any student to put themself out there, even if it may be their first time.