Behind the curtain: Broadway choir show

Los Alamitos Choir is having their annual Broadway Choir Show!

Sydney Forsyte

Los Al’s show choir rehearsals are extremely active, with students constantly dancing or observing choreography.

Sydney Forsyte, Staff Writer

Los Alamitos, CA–Fall in love all over again; it’s almost time for the Los Alamitos Choir Show! The nationally recognized Los Alamitos choir program’s upcoming Broadway show will be titled “The Power of Love”; performances run from September 29- October 1. Tickets are available on the choir website.

This new choir show will feature songs from various musicals, including Xanadu, The Michael Jackson Musical, Les Misérables, and Mean Girls the Musical. The choir show will feature new numbers and also some that will be familiar to those who have attended the annual Broadway show in the past. Sarah Dicus, a sophomore in Xquisite choir, expressed that she believes that the show will be something the audience had never seen before.  

This year’s costumes have received overall very positive feedback from students and teachers alike. Moanna Dherlin, the assistant director of all choirs, said she had a hand in some of the costume designs, and she was able to bring pictures of her ideas, specifically for the Xanadu number. She described one of the costumes from the Mean Girls’ number as a recreation of the iconic “On Wednesdays we wear pink” line from the movie. Dicus said that she is particularly excited for a number that will feature 18  students dressed as 70s disco roller skaters. This year, many of the students will be bringing their own outfits from home for certain numbers.

I love that bring it from home costumes… [let you] really see people’s personal styles and flair onstage

— Alexa Dharmapalan, head vocal music counselor and member of Soundtrax

The preparations for this show are already intensely underway. Advanced choirs have been rehearsing after school and in-class every week since the beginning of the year. Rehearsals are scheduled to increase directly before the show with students having an all-day tech rehearsal on Saturday and an after school rehearsal on Wednesday from 3:30 to 8:00. 

As a result of the time spent focused on perfecting performance elements, the choir program is enormously popular on campus; many residents of Los Al are proud of the critical acclaim the choir program brings to our school.

To conclude, the choir program hopes you attend their show and enjoy their kickoff to the new school year.