Los Al’s new college readiness counselor

What you need to know about Dr. Lewis

Aleina Tuufuli

Go see Dr. Lewis in the Career Center

Aleina Tuufuli, Luke Grisafe, and Ryan Park

LOS ALAMITOS , CA — With this new school year, we have welcomed back students and staff, as well as new faculty, including Los Al High’s new college readiness counselor, Dr. Keeley Lewis.

Despite the countless odds against her, she was able to go to college, studying at University of Santa Barbara and earn her doctorate. She learned Spanish and worked with impoverished children in barrios outside of Chile. After studying abroad she decided she wanted to help and that’s what drove her to be a counselor. 

Before her new position here at Los Alamitos High, Dr. Lewis previously worked at Millikan for four years. During this time she worked as Millikan’s GATE counselor and then transitioned to a general counselor. When asked about a difference she noticed at Millikan compared to Los Al, Dr. Lewis noted that we all seem “very connected and tight-niched.” 

Dr. Lewis’ position came “from a California State Grant that was designed to provide extra funding” in order for schools to support students “specifically in the area of college readiness.” Her ultimate goal is to give students additional help in preparing for college and life after high school in general. Her position also allows her to “offset [the] crazy, disproportionate counselor to student ratio.” 

The ideas, energy, visions, and hope that students come with is what changes the world.

— Dr. Keeley Lewis

One main difference between Dr. Lewis’ position as a college readiness counselor is that her area of expertise helps to better prepare students for either higher education or life after graduation. In order to provide additional support, she will be working “with teachers to track and monitor progress” of students, as well as give extra help “depending on whatever the students need.” As an educator, her goal is to do everything she “can to ensure all students have the information and access” in order for them to thrive. Dr Lewis hopes by the time students leave her, they will be on track with being successful and having a clear idea on what the opportunities are after high school as well as where they see themselves in the future.