Senior Summit: In Case You Missed It

Here’s a quick recap of all the information touched on at the Senior Summit.

Senior+Summit%2C+as+well+as+most+other+college+information+presentations%2C+was+held+in+the+PAC.+

Michael Warren

Senior Summit, as well as most other college information presentations, was held in the PAC.

Michael Warren, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — At 8 a.m. on Wednesday, seniors gathered in the PAC for a before-school meeting about college and the admissions process. If you missed that meeting, no worries, here is all the important information you need to know. 

A-G’s

Most importantly, before any seniors apply to college, the A-G requirements are mandatory for all seniors in order to graduate.

If you have any of the missing requirements or received a D or an F in any of the necessary courses, contact your counselor. There are alternative ways to redeem those credits. 

NCAA

For student-athletes looking to continue their athletic career in college, do not forget to meet all of the necessary steps to register for the NCAA. Go to the NCAA Eligibility Center website and fill out the information to register, then contact the LAHS records office so that they can send a transcript. 

Make sure you have completed NCAA academic requirements (separate from the A-G’s). 

These requirements are as follows: 4 years of English, 3 years of math (Algebra 1 and higher), 2 years of life science/physical science, 2 years of social science, 4 years of additional courses from world language or non-doctrinal religion/philosophy, and at least a 2.3 GPA. Contact your counselor for any questions. 

Naviance 

To log into Naviance, and log in with a mylosal.golosal.net, click the Clever icon (it is a white C on a light blue background, sign in with your student email, scroll down to “more apps” and select the Naviance app. 

Here, there are several resources for your college search. You can research colleges using the “Supermatch” 

If you know you will need letters of recommendation, fill out a BRAG sheet, under About Me and then My School Surveys. 

College Visits

In the next few weeks, there will be representatives of several colleges coming to Los Alamitos to give information about the admissions process for their school. Check Naviance, under “College Visits,” to find a schedule and list of all the visiting schools, some of which include Occidental College, Rochester Institute of Technology, Syracuse University, Villanova University, Arizona State University-Tempe, UC Riverside, UC Berkeley, University of Chicago, Pepperdine University, TCU, SMU, and many more. They will have presentations in the college and career center during the day, but check with your teacher before you go. 

Community College

For those applying to city colleges, it is open enrollment meaning that you will be accepted if you apply. Also, community colleges do not accept SAT/ACT scores. Applications are open in November. Community College Information Night is on January 17th, 2023 at 6:30 p.m. in the PAC. 

Military Schools

Visit with Military Branch Representatives in the Quad. Different branches of the military will have booths on different days. Sign up to take the ASVAB by emailing [email protected], sign-ups open in October. Work with your recruiter and parent/guardian to determine the next steps. 

Apprenticeship Programs

Apprenticeships are specialized programs that are designed to train students for a skilled trade; apprenticeships are paid experiences. Go to the Program Finder website to search for any apprenticeship programs that you might be interested in. 

California State Universities (CSU)

Applications for the Cal States will be accepted from October 1st to November 30th. Letters of recommendation, personal statements or essays, or SAT/ACT scores are required for admission. The application process does not require a transcript, but it is required by the end of the year. 

University of California (UC)

Applications for UCs are accepted from November 1st to November 30th. Letters of recommendation, SAT/ACT scores, or transcripts are required for admission. The application does require you to answer 4 personal insight questions, each with a 350-word maximum. 

It is highly recommended that you complete the application well before the application window opens; this gives ample time for editing and refining. 

Financial Aid

Check Naviance for opportunities to apply for scholarships. There are other resources that will look for eligible scholarships that you can apply to. Visit the College and Career Center for applications as well as to receive a fee waiver for the SAT or ACT. 

In the future, there are other federal and state opportunities to give incoming students money for college. Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), California Dream Act Application (CA DAA), and the Cal Grant are all financial aid resources that the government offers. For the Cal Grant, fill out the FAFSA application and LAHS will submit your GPA for you. Financial Aid Night is October 25th. 

Standardized Testing

CSU, UC campuses, and community colleges do not require testing for the admission process; however, for CSU and UC schools, they may be used for placement in classes. Private and out-of-state schools will vary in their requirements for the SAT/ACT scores. 

Common App

This resource is used by many out-of-state and private schools. Create your account on the common app website and search for any colleges on your list. 

For letters of recommendation, check each school to see how many letters you need for your application. Also, ask teachers prior to you putting their information on your application. As aforementioned, go to Naviance to fill out a BRAG sheet before you ask for letters of recommendation. 

Transcripts

If you are using Common App to send transcripts, talk to your counselor directly. If otherwise, make a Parchment account if you are not using Common App to send transcripts. Contact your counselor for any questions. 

Senior Conferences  

All seniors, your counselors want to check in with you on your progress on college applications and post-high school plans. Check your school email to see the availability of your counselor. 

Make sure that you have some progress to show your counselor. They warn that they will not be able to help you much if you do not have anything to show. 

Important Dates 

College Essay Night: October 18th, 6:30 p.m. in the PAC 

Financial Aid Night: October 25th, 6:30 p.m. in the PAC

FAFSA Workshops: November 1st and 2nd, February 15th and 16th, 2023, 6:30 p.m. in the College and Career Center

College Application Help: November, every Tuesday and Thursday at lunch and after school in College and Career Center

Community College Information Night: January 17th, 2023, 6:30 p.m. in the PAC 

Community College Information Week: January 24th-26th, 2023, various times in the College and Career Center 

Final Announcements 

The counselors recommend that you finalize your after-graduation plans and begin taking steps toward them. Also, your golosal.net email will expire after graduation, make a professional email for communication with colleges, jobs, scholarships, etc. 

Most importantly, the counselors want to ensure that you are actively preparing for graduation.