How Does the New Schedule Impact Students?

Is the Extra Sleep Worth it?

Jonas Corliss

Picture of students moving through campus during passing period after lunch

Jonas Corliss, Staff Writer

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — By now we are all well aware of the new schedule at school. A new California law requiring all high schools to start no earlier than 8:30 a.m. was passed on Oct. 13, 2019 and implemented on July 1 of this year. The reason for this change is scientific research stating that early starts and lack of sleep are damaging students academically as well as both mentally and physically. The later start time will reportedly reduce rates of depression, suicide, obesity, and sleep deprivation. This sounds like a total positive, right? But many people across campus have voiced their displeasure with the new start times.

In a survey given to students and teachers, 34.9% said that they did not like the schedule change. While people appreciate starting school later, the main cause for contention seems to be the school day ending later. Students voiced that the later end time means that their after-school activities also end later. Of the 146 responses given, 27 stated that they leave campus after 5 p.m., on average. Even for the students who leave campus right after sixth period, many say that they dislike having less time in the afternoon for homework. Many also said that since everything shifted 40 minutes later, there is no change in what students do, everything just happens later in the day.

The later time also presents an issue for sports. One of the cheer coaches says that they “will be practicing in the dark come end of fall,” which makes the practices even harder than they have been in the past. Staying later not only means that people will feel more tired by the end of their activity, but the later times also make it difficult to work after. Students who get dropped off by their parents also face issues. The main reason being that many parents have to go to work early in the morning.

When it comes to the people that enjoy the new schedule, their main praise is the new start time. Many students say that they are sleeping in later which makes them feel more rested during school. Students with a zero period also don’t start much earlier than they did last year, so it seems more manageable. However, many of the people that like starting later also comment about the later end time, stating that they do not have as much time to do the tasks that are required of them, like homework or their jobs.

Overall, most students tend to like the new start time. The main issue comes down to school ending later, which makes activities after school harder to accomplish. While this seems like an issue that could be easily solved, in reality it is much more difficult. High schools are now required to start later, but still need enough time to teach students. The new start times could seem tough for both students and faculty to manage, but it might just be something they have to get used to.