Is November a fall or winter season?

November is between both winter and fall, but which season is associated with November?
Reese Neiger, Canva
Do you think November is a winter or fall month?

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — November is finally here after a long wait for all the seasonal enthusiasts! November has well-known holidays such as Thanksgiving, Día De Muertos, and Veterans Day. November is between October and December, bringing an end to the spooky season and making way for the festivities of the holidays. This leads to a big debate on whether or not it is a part of the fall or winter season.

The fall season usually starts in the middle or end of September, continues throughout October, and goes into November. The fall season brings both weather and aesthetic changes. In November, Thanksgiving is the fourth Thursday of the month; after Thanksgiving, the winter excitement takes over as everyone prepares for the upcoming season.

“When I think of Thanksgiving I think of fall colors,” said Mrs. Captain, a Los Alamitos High School intervention instructional assistant. “Therefore, November is a fall month.”

Large chain stores like Target are already selling winter and Christmas decor at the beginning of November. (Reese Neiger)

The winter season tends to start in late November and can last up to February. However, the winter spirit can start months beforehand with many department stores selling holiday and winter-themed decor. Many stores tend to do this because of people’s likeliness to get their decorations early while leading up to the holidays.

“The purpose is to make sure that everything is sold early so there are fewer decorations [to buy] at the end of December,” said Gaby, a Seal Beach Target staff member.

Winter is filled with multiple joyous holidays for people to celebrate including Christmas, Hanukkah, New Year’s Eve, Kwanzaa, and more. Because of the many holidays, the excitement can come early even when it is not winter or the same month as the holiday. Because November leads up to the winter season, many people automatically see the month as part of the winter season.

“Everyone automatically sets up for winter,” said Alexia Kontes, a Los Al freshman. “Thanksgiving is forgotten; as soon as October and Halloween pass the first thing that comes up is Christmas decorations.”

Fall and winter are not only about the seasonal changes for the surroundings but also the people. Some people find fall a quiet and peaceful time for reading, baking, or watching a movie. Others see winter as a cozy and fun adventure for snow activities and crafts. Fall and winter have differences and even similarities; some people may have a preference while others enjoy both.

A total of 143 Los Al students voted on whether they think November is a part of winter or fall. 115 students voted for fall, 24 students voted for winter, and four students voted neither.

From the data and polls, most Los Al students find November to be a fall month. November although is between October and December, is a great month filled with fun. With many great activities to do this month, there will be a lot of cheer and energized spirit for this November!

$50
$1000