Students were racing to the crowd as they attempted to catch a glimpse of Ryan Seacrest and other KIIS FM staff.
Ryan Seacrest stops by Los Alamitos High School
Reese Neiger and Kalea DaviesApril 26, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — The music blasted in the quad as Los Alamitos High School students danced along during KIIS FM's visit with Ryan Seacrest!...

Students study in the Stephen A. Schwarzman Building, the main branch of the New York public library, located in the heart of Manhattan.
Colleges welcome the class of 2028
Nandi Smith, Staff Writer • April 24, 2024

LOS ALAMITOS, CA – After a stressful college application season, the class of 2024 has officially received all of their admissions decisions...

Electric car charging in Birmingham, UK City Centre.
Courtesy of Unsplash
Electric vehicles are taking over the world
Olivia Cooks, Staff Writer • April 23, 2024

Tesla's Model 3 is one of their most popular vehicles and reaches a top speed of 125mph.

Fall is here, and so is pumpkin spice!

The time of year that brings the pumpkin spice craze
An+eerie+pumpkin+stand+at+the+entrance+of+the+Vons+store+in+Rossmoor...+yummy.+
Olivia Cooks
An eerie pumpkin stand at the entrance of the Vons store in Rossmoor… yummy.

LOS ALAMITOS, CA — From the changing leaves to pumpkin spice mania to anaconda-sized scarves creeping into daily dress, fall brings crazy fashion trends, deformed pumpkins, delicious (and not-so-delicious) treats, and the odd but seemingly comforting smell of leaves and rotting trees filling the air. 

The fall season is a time of change and harvest —the air gets colder, the days get shorter, and farmers gather the fruits and vegetables they have grown over the summer. Fall is also a popular time for activities — both indoor and outdoor — such as reading, watching movies, baking, apple picking, camping, and more.

Oct. 31 is the most anticipated date during the fall season because of Halloween; the spooky holiday where deranged old men can freely put on masks and terrorize citizens of small towns. *Cough, cough* Michael Myers earns five stars in this category.

Pumpkin Spice

“I love pumpkin in everything fall-related,” said Elise Briseño-Tapia, a senior at Los Al.

Pumpkin spice is typically made with a delicious blend of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and sometimes allspice. It actually does not consist of any pumpkin; however, it is used to flavor pumpkin pie, a fall favorite. As seen in the last decade, pumpkin spice has become a national favorite and gained many devoted fans.

There’s only one question that can be asked about the pumpkin spice mania: How did pumpkin spice become so popular? It all started in 2003, when the first pumpkin spice latte was created in the “Liquid Lab” at Starbucks’ Seattle headquarters. The drink was so successful that other coffee chains such as Dunkin’ and even McDonald’s mimicked the delicious seasonal latte. Since then, pumpkin spice has evolved into the unofficial, official flavor of fall.

Even before fall officially started, pumpkin spice-flavored treats began appearing on every shelf in grocery stores, becoming a jump scare of fall flavor. Starbucks even released its fall menu on Aug. 24 this year, a month before the official start of the season.

This is awesome for individuals who love pumpkin spice, but sometimes it can be too much. Strange concoctions created with processed, synthetic ingredients to produce a “pumpkin spice” flavor that is infused in EVERYTHING. Don’t get me wrong – I love a good pumpkin spice latte or pumpkin pie, but… pumpkin spice Oreos?

At least $500 million is spent on pumpkin-spiced flavored items in the United States each year, and it seems that many businesses have exploited the national pumpkin spice addiction and created some not-so-tasty products as a result (such as pumpkin spice spam… yuck!).

Pumpkin spice should only belong on pumpkin pie, and that’s it.”

— Riana Aquino, senior

I had the pleasure of sampling the pumpkin spice Frosted Flakes, and honestly, they’re not very pleasant. As I was indulging in the overpowering flavor, I overheard numerous customers pass by the sampling stand and degrade the product. I was surprised at first by the comments, but then realized that some of the newer artificial food items branded with “pumpkin spice” are not enjoyable. Too much pumpkin spice can be overbearing and should be limited to cakes, coffee, and pie.

There’s a lot of mixed feelings about pumpkin spice, but overall, it’s a national favorite. Personally, I love pumpkin spice… but not on everything. The idea of pumpkin spice-flavored food items is strange at first, but there are many delicious foods that are created as a result.

This poll has ended.

What's your opinion on pumpkin spice?

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.

$50
$1000